Valentines Day Hatch-A-Long 2016

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by junebuggena, Jan 21, 2016.

1. RonoKT

RonoKT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    I'm pretty sure the only respiratory illness that can be passed (very rarely) between chicken and human is a specific strain of avian influenza (H5N1). I would still rather not sneeze into my incubators, gets messy enough without it.

2. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

So I am inbreeding with Black Copper Maran roosters and cross pullets in the hopes of getting more BCM characteristics. Yet I had never looked at what day old BCM chicks looked like. I just googled them and OMG, 2/3's of my chicks look just like BCM chicks...woohoo!! See the black chick in my avatar...2/3's of my first hatch look just like him.

3. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama
    Awwww I have black australorps. All pure because my husband loves the color. Go figure. [​IMG]

4. lmboeder

lmboeder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2015
    I'm joining a little late. Mine are do to hatch 2-19!! I have a nice mix I set, 24 eggs from a farm in SC.[​IMG][/IMG]

5. lmboeder

Jul 11, 2015
    [​IMG] here is the other 12. I had to check air cells before turning on the turner and 17 already show amazing development.

6. TJordan

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama

Looks like you will have a nice mix. Wish I could talk my husband into mixing ours a little. I love our black australorps but come on. It was nice when I adopted 2 white leghorns when my mother n law moved but my husband doesn't like them.

7. lmboeder

Jul 11, 2015
    That is one breed I don't have but they are on my want list. This batch has crazy possibilities as to what they are so it will be fun to figure them out!

8. TJordan

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama

I love the fact we started with these. A bought 10 babies 2 years ago from our local feed store and all 10 lived a full year before a critter killed 2 hens and all my current stock (not set eggs) are from my 1 rooster. He turned [​IMG][​IMG] so became [​IMG][​IMG].. We got several for my mother n law when she fell in love with ours so the eggs from this batch are from the 2 [​IMG] oops those be boys not girls chicks we got. [​IMG][​IMG] she couldn't have roosters so they came to my house. Now I'm waiting on 30 eggs to hatch and then all boys will be culled... I'll go get a non related boy from same feed store in March. He will grow and give me babies next year [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  9. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

Lolz, I have to ask, where are you getting these little icons from, they don't appear to me in my editor....

10. TJordan

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama

If you are on a phone you should have a [​IMG] icon. Try downloading emoji icons

Hope you figure it out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by