Valley Quail info needed

mrwoodboat

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
Hi all I have a pair of Valley Quail and they are doing well but are very flighty in the pen they are in- I am setting up a new home for them with only the front being open- the other three sides will be solid but with structure for hiding spots.
My question is about breeding- this is my 1st year with Valleys- do they use a nesting box or do they just drop eggs like Cots and BW do? I want to set up their habitat with that in mind. Any help is appreciated

Perfect timing that you posted this before Christmas is over. I would recommend that once you are done with your Christmas tree, trim off half of the tree lengthwise and place it on the ground for cover (so the main trunk is touching or is close to the ground). If you want, bunch grasses are an excellent addition. A well-planted pen (lots of hiding spots) = less stressed birds. When spring rolls around, they will make their own nest (well-hidden) inside the Christmas tree or next to the bunch grass. They might occasionally drop eggs, but it shouldn't happen frequently (and best if not at all).

thanks- yes, we collect used Xmas trees for the pheasant runs so I will throw a couple in with the quail....

Back
Top Bottom