Valley quails in the winter?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JenandHerQuails, Dec 27, 2013.

1. JenandHerQuails

JenandHerQuails Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    Derby, CT
    I hatched 11 valley quails that are almost a week old. I have button quails and coturnix quails. The buttons stay inside full time but the coturnix are outside in an unheated coop. The inside part of the coop has a light that is on from 3pm to 12am so it does stay a few degrees warmer in there. My question is: Would the valley quails ( when they are full grown) be able to handle the cold in a set up like the coturnix quails?
    [​IMG]

2. marjo

marjo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Branchton,Ontario
    OMG That's the cutest little thing

I can't answer your question sorry I'm still a Nob when it comes to raising Quail
    but I'm sure someone will give you the answer

Good luck

3. JenandHerQuails

Oct 5, 2013
    Derby, CT
    Thank you! [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, the Valleys are just as hardy as the Coturnix quail. They both can handle brutally cold temps well below zero with out heat when they are adults.:)

And OMG..is that chick CUTE!!!

5. JenandHerQuails

Oct 5, 2013
    Derby, CT
    That's great! And Thanks! He is the friendliest little one. I cant wait to see their adult feathers. Can valley quails share a coop with a few coturnix quails? The coop is 6ft by 5ft. I was thinking about keeping 1 male, 3 female coturnix quails and just one pair of valley quails. Would that work?

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    That will work until breeding season and then the Valleys will need their own space. The valleys are meant to be kept in pairs only and might injure the Cots during breeding season.

7. JenandHerQuails

Oct 5, 2013
    Derby, CT
    I will keep them separate then. I don't want any of my quails to get injured. [​IMG] Do you know what kind of animal would make large tunnels under the quail cage? I have set two have a heart traps. One large and one small. The small one always get set off but the animal seems to escape every time! It takes the food without getting stuck inside. The large one has not been set off yet but its only been out for one night. What kind of animal can escape these traps?

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    All sorts of night time critters dig....skunks, raccoons, rats, mice, weasels, cats, bunch of other things. Predators can really scare your birds and the birds can injure themselves in the night. So do your best to keep them away from your birds. Solar lighting can help keep the varmints away at night. My place is lit up like an airport runway at night and seems to help keep the critters at bay. :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  9. JenandHerQuails

Oct 5, 2013
    Derby, CT
    hmmm I'm thinking it might be a weasel because the holes are too small for a raccoon but too big for a mouse. Solar lighting sounds like a good idea! Walmart sells little lights for $2 each. I'll buy some today. I would like to catch this thing so I can relocate it though!

10. thinkloically

thinkloically Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Frisco,Texas
    Nice Chick...LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by