Variations in Breaking.Brrody Hen Behavior

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
I am using a battery of game hens to hatch and rear chicks that are not theirs. Some broodies do not have a good set date so I restart them by busting up their clutch and moving hen to a pen in field (location change) lacking a nest (no clutch). Some break within 3 days, others take longer. Trying to figure out pattern.

Last edited:
I am using a battery of game hens to hatch and rear chicks that are not theirs. Some broodies do not have a good set date so I restart them by busting up their clutch and moving hen to a pen in field (location change) lacking a nest (no clutch). Some break within 3 days, others take longer. Trying to figure out pattern.
UGH! :barnie

Just had one hen take 9 days to break while the other at the same time and location broke in 3. Have had one gal take two weeks before... and that was the end of my daytime wire bottom kennel that ALMOST broke ME! :he Now I only use the wire bottom at night and use open bottom or locking away to another pasture for daytime use.

As far as I can tell... it's about the hen and not my technique. Some are just more hormonal, dedicated, and stubborn/determined. No pattern I've noticed here... except for individual patterns of how often they return to broody-ness. :confused:

I use a tractor to break my broodies. Usually takes 3 - 4 days to do so. I move broody to the tractor for the day, allow her out to roost with the flock at roost time. Rinse and repeat until she breaks.

Back
Top Bottom