Various Quail Questions

44Wolves

Here is Your New Title
13 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Hi, I'm thinking about hatching my own quail. I've done plenty of research but still have some questions. The species I have in mind are Bobwhite and Button Quail.

1) Flight
How well can these birds fly? Are they like standard birds which can fly for miles on end, or do they have a couple hundred feet limit?

2) Sound
Are males going to be as noisy and loud as chickens? I know Buttons are not nearly as loud but Bobwhites, can they get pretty annoying?

3) Home
If I let them out to wander around, are they going to try and make a run for the wilderness and never come back? I wouldn't be surprised if my Bobwhites wanted to get back into the wild (we all know they need to). Or are they like chickens, where they will be back home by night?

4) Temperature
Buttons are not very cold hardy, but how low CAN they go? And do they have a heat limit?

5) Releasing Bobwhites
I know this is very controversial, and I have been looking into whether where I live is suitable or not (plants, habitat, predators, etc.). I'm not sure I could even do this successfully-- a flight cage is not going to be an option and I can't see myself raising them without some sort of human contact (especially as chicks). But, I have heard of people releasing semi-tame bobwhites that can survive-- so this is more of an opinion question... Would you release if they were 'wild' enough?

6) Smell
Are the Buttons & their cage going to smell like ferrets, or.. well, just not as unpleasant? Probably half-month/monthly cage cleaning, with pine shaving bedding. Curious about this one.

7) Predators
Each of these 2 species have their own survival techniques, but would it be enough, if, for example, they were out without a human present in the yard and a hawk decided to attack? Or if a fox came out of nowhere? Another opinion question.

8) Breeding
For anyone with experience in breeding and selling the eggs on eBay; would you advise selling eggs on eBay? Maybe make my own website? Just, basically, how have your experiences with selling small amounts of fertile eggs on eBay been so far?

Thank you! Hopefully the answers can clarify for anyone else with similar questions.

I have limited experiences with quail but I have had both button and coturnix quail and can give you my opinion on some of your questions.
Quote: Both of my quail could fly straight up easily when frightened. It's more of a great big jump and they SLOWLY come flapping back down but they could easily make it right out of my sight and lost forever.

Quote: Button and Conturix aren't really annoying to me. Not even the roos. It sounds like they are sneezing loudly sorta when they crow. In fact that's what I thought it was a first.

Quote: In my personal experience quail have no concept of home and if they get out they will just run away and never return.

Quote: Yeah they smell similar to chickens. You have to keep up with the cage so they don't step in their feces or they risk getting it stuck on their toes and losing their toe. I have found that sand works wonders with keeping them clean and the smell down. It clumps their poop so they can't step in it too.

Quote: My quail got eaten by a cat before so my opinion is no they don't have good enough prey instincts to fend for themselves.

That is what I have come to know. Don't take my word seriously though since I don't have much experience with these birds either.

You dont say what you want the birds for? Eating, eggs or to sell adults?
Buttons are not for eating and the eggs are the size of a grape so nothing there either. They are mostly used in averys or as pets. I cant help you with any info on cortunix.

Thank you so much, duckncover! That was very helpful.

GrandmaBird, I would be using these quail for eggs (both selling HATCHING EGGS [not live chicks] and eating the eggs, regardless of size). And it's fine about Cortunix; I actually wasnt even asking about them
lau.gif
But how about Buttons, what could you tell me about them?

Thank you!

Buttons are mostly cage pets, kept in pairs or some folks have okay luck with groups. They require high protein food 25-30% especially when laying which if kept indoors with light will be year round in most areas of the USA. The hens need added calcium, I use oyster shell which is sold for caged birds. I feed the game bird or meat bird crumbles with up to 50% pet finch/canary seeds mixed in. I treat with fresh veggies and fruit daily, you can fed meal worms but try to limit to once a week as they are fattening to them like candy is to us, and they eat them like we do candy! If you have other questions please feel free to ask or you can join the "Button Quail" group/page on Face Book, I am one of the monitors on that page. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom