Various temperatures on different levels of my NEW Sportsman 1502

MissouriNewb

Chirping
Jan 4, 2019
Southeast Missouri
I just got my incubator set up yesterday and I decided to use a digital thermometer to check the accuracy of the unit.

Well, as the headline states, every shelf gets progressively lower in temperature. The top shelf reads exactly as it should and then every level below drops about 1 degree Fahrenheit. Clearly the airflow is not as it should be.

I am guessing of course cold air is dropping and the hot air is escaping out of the top air hole before it can circulate. I doubt it is a problem with the fan, etc. I am guessing while these are well built. They are built this way and just have some variance.

Has anyone found a way to fix this?

I was thinking to perhaps plug the hole at the top near the fan and heater and instead put one at the bottom of the unit to encourage more air circulation.

Anyone have this unit and have some ideas for me?

Thanks so much!

I just got my incubator set up yesterday and I decided to use a digital thermometer to check the accuracy of the unit.

Well, as the headline states, every shelf gets progressively lower in temperature. The top shelf reads exactly as it should and then every level below drops about 1 degree Fahrenheit. Clearly the airflow is not as it should be.

I am guessing of course cold air is dropping and the hot air is escaping out of the top air hole before it can circulate. I doubt it is a problem with the fan, etc. I am guessing while these are well built. They are built this way and just have some variance.

Has anyone found a way to fix this?

I was thinking to perhaps plug the hole at the top near the fan and heater and instead put one at the bottom of the unit to encourage more air circulation.

Anyone have this unit and have some ideas for me?

Thanks so much!

I recognized that once eggs have been placed and now in for a while. The various levels are only .5 degrees off.

The 2 degree temp variation top to bottom is apparently not an issue as most sportsmen owners report excellent hatch rate. Hatching chick can benefit from the lower temp at the bottom of the unit. I remember in a post from several years ago, someone had a new sportsman and install a false back with the return air gap closer to the bottom, drawing the warm air down and said it resolved the temp issue. He didn't follow up with hatch results after the modification that I remember.

Back
Top Bottom