vaseline? bag balm?

Absolutely the only thing I have available is Bag Balm. I can possibly get something from the vet.

I don't want to treat with anything that could effect the eggs, KWIM?

When I rubbed the Bag Balm into Jane's legs, some of the scales fell off, revealing healthy tissue. She already looks lots better. I am going to stick with this, and I will call the vet tomorrow and ask him if he thinks I need him to prescribe something.

My friend who had Jane is also a novice chicken keeper, and when I got her I noticed that several of his chickens had feet like this. He was here tonight and I showed him Jane's legs and told him about the mites and some suggestions of what to do.

He's 13, and so I made sure his mom was hearing me as well. They are concerned for their birds and will be checking on them tomorrow.

the Bag Balm is good..
I just meant not to get it on the feathers.

but the mites will need to be treated..the Bag Balm is to smother them and help recondition the scales..but may not totally get rid of the mites.

no need yet for a systemic antibiotic..
a topical will do, and shouldn't effect eggs..

The Linseed oil/kerosene works well and you can get it at Homedepot or lowes. I just wouldnt put it on if shes bleeding. No one knows the product I was thinking of? CAMPOPHNIQUE something like that

Were you thinking of Campho-Phenique? The stuff for cold sores?

I don't have any of that either.

I haven't been able to get out and get anything until hopefully later today. I have four young children and for the last week and a half at least one has been sick, so I haven't been able to get out and get anything. That's why I had to just go with the Bag Balm, I have a big container of that.

I'll try to get a topical antibiotic today.

Smear the Bag Balm on her legs until you get whatever else you want to do. Bag Balm smothers the liitle buggers and will soften the scales. Be sure and push it up under the scales real good. Helps soften your hands too:). put it on ALL your chickens. it will help if they have leg mites and sure won't hurt if they don't.jmo

The vet RX is to help it heal,dry up and fall off with out getting infected. Once the tissue is frost bitten it will die and fall of. Nothing can fix it once it's there. I just wanted to make sure it didn't get infected as then you could have a very sick and possibly a dead chicken due to systemic infection.

Back
Top Bottom