Vaseline

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TinyChickenLady, Dec 20, 2011.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard people talk about putting vaseline on the combs and wattles of their chickens to avoid frostbite....
    Should I do this or is it only for certain breeds? Or temperatures?

I need a little lubrication education folks!!
    [​IMG] Oh I'm horrible...

2. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    I'm wondering the same!

It's gonna be the first winter for my girls - and for us as chickens keepers - and I'm not sure if I should put Vaseline or not, and when!. My girls don't have very big combs, but my Marilyn (cochin) still has some... and big wattles too...

anybody?

3. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    hey it never hurts to lube it...

4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I sort of wonder about this one myself. It'll be my first winter with birds but I probably won't give them any. Wild chickens seem to get on just fine without. My only concern is if it could potentially damage their looks. I hate ugly chicks.

5. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I Use It On Mine When The Cold Temps Set In And Never Had Any Frostbite On Mine I Never Did It Before But Was Advised To Do It And I Did ..........works For Me

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I've never used it and didn't have any issues with frostbite last winter. Even when it got down to the -30's (air temp. not wind chill). From what I've read on other threads, humidity in your coop is going to cause frostbite faster than cold temps alone.

7. TinyChickenLady

That's what I've heard, too, bobbi. It's of my understanding that it's the really big combs and wattles that need it. But what is the general definition of "big?" My roo has what I consider big combs and wattles and he's not even near done growing yet.

I just want to cover all my bases and make I'm taking care of them the best I can. And I don't want them hurting [​IMG]

8. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Didn't use any last winter, and didn't have any frostbite problems. From what I have read, and seen for myself, frostbite would be more of a concern in a overstocked, poorly ventilated box.
    Jack

9. TinyChickenLady

Well, I went to lock up and found Doug had a little start of frostbite. Had to apply vaseline.

I wonder if there is anything better than vaseline I could use.... Bagbalm maybe?

10. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Hey TCL...

Figured this was gonna get lost in the OT thread... So i figured I would go ahead and barge in over here as well...

For the record, just found out my mother used it. not really sure if it helped or not. I wish I could have seen her face when I asked her - Hey ma, do you use vaseline for lube...........ing your chickens combs?

Not sure about your coop or your design, but... I try to do my best to not place bandaids on problems, as nothing is really solved (or at least there is a higher chance of not being solved)

I would look at trying to fix the why. Meaning to look at what can be done to the stop the problem, instead of just protecting the comb. There may be something lurking in the background.

Not enough ventilation?
    Can't really have to much, but to much ventilation?
    Bird health?
    Air quality in the coop?
    Feeding habits?
    Any others birds with the same problem?
    Roosting space?
    Poo (deep liter method or some other method)?
    Birds being disturbed? (predation, traffic, etc.)
    Lighting outside?
    What was the weather like? calm, high humidity, high winds, etc.
    Have you changed anything inside or outside the coop?
    Does anything need to be changed? (summer ventilation is different than winter - I found out the hard way)
    What new problems will new changes create?
    Any new birds?
    What or how can you do to change your thought processes to ensure similar situations don't occur in the future? (why is your coop designed the way it is, why did you choose that design, what would you do different and why, why are the birds the breed they are, why did I provide a particular feed, stuff like that).

It is important to keep in mind it is not a right or wrong thing, it is a why thing. The right and wrongs, like many things, will come out at the end of the process.

In a TAPROOT investigation, we basically keep asking why. Ask the first question, why is only one comb freezing. Every time you identify a possible problem, ask why. Best to do it on a white board and make a flow chart, so you don't loose your mind. Generally speaking, it takes about 5 levels to get at the real problem. Good part is, down that deep into the original situation, you will find that many other issues will be solved as well.

With that said, you may find that you just happen to have a bird that is susceptible to frostbite, but you will have gained a great deal of knowledge in the process.

Did that even help???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by