Vegetables least likely eaten

americanvalkyrie

Songster
8 Years
Nov 20, 2011
Reno, NV
I have a manmade pond with a waterfall, and a walkway behind it. I need something to block access to the waterfall... something portable... so I can move it and garden behind it. My dogs keep passing behind, and knocking rocks into the pond, and then I have to fish them out and reset the liner! But my chickens free-range. I have most of my garden done so they can't get to it, but I want to put something here that is less likely to be eaten by the chickens. It will be planted in a 5-gallon bucket and can have a foot of chicken wire around it, above the bucket, but I want something that will spread out. I was thinking tomatillos, but don't know if the chickens will go for the leaves. They're not starved at all, but there's no longer any greenery left in the yard, so they freak out whenever I bring in something growing.

I was also thinking of planting flowers that spread out, but have the same problem there.

Like humans, some chickens may absolutely love a certain treat, while others can't help but despise it. I'd feed them a bunch of vegetables and fruits and take note of which ones they refuse to eat, and plant those at the edge of your garden.

If you're looking for something big, maybe some pretty shrubbery? I've never seen my hens tread through or attempt to jump over bushes.

Good luck!

Mine snurl their beaks and walk away in a huff at lettuce and cabbage. I thought this was suppose to be two of their favorites!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom