Vegetarian Chickens?!?

Quote:
Awe, I would love to see your little Bantam eating his worm bite by bite. I have a Buff Orpington who is a total girly girl. She's so delicate and dainty and DH is constantly telling me I need to paint her toe nails pink and put a bow on her.
lau.gif

Anyway, she's always underfoot when I'm out in the garden hoping I'll dig up a worm and she slurps them down like oysters on the half shell. This past weekend she snapped at one that had to have been 5 inches long and then it was gone. Just vaporized. I had to blink and ask myself, did I just black out? Cuz there's no way she got that guy that fast.

lau.gif

Yeah, I've seen them do this to grasshoppers as well. Come on guys! Kill them before torturing them! LOL. They also loved those huge mosquito things. No clue what they are called. Look like clumsy mosquito.
hmm.png
They torture them as well
gig.gif

I tease my polish Wendy about putting pink nail polish on her all the time! She's hilarious! She talks back to me when I talk about painting her nails! She understands me, I just know it.
woot.gif

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad326/aoxa/IMG_0786.jpg
Yes.. She's very smart.. She sees right into your thoughts..
ep.gif

Oh, she's BEAUTIFUL. I love it when they talk back. My Jersey Giant is a talker and I'm sure my neighbors think I'm insane out there gardening, talking to myself, yaddy yaddy yadda.

Quote:
lau.gif

Yeah, I've seen them do this to grasshoppers as well. Come on guys! Kill them before torturing them! LOL. They also loved those huge mosquito things. No clue what they are called. Look like clumsy mosquito.
hmm.png
They torture them as well
gig.gif

I tease my polish Wendy about putting pink nail polish on her all the time! She's hilarious! She talks back to me when I talk about painting her nails! She understands me, I just know it.
woot.gif

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad326/aoxa/IMG_0786.jpg
Yes.. She's very smart.. She sees right into your thoughts..
ep.gif

Oh, she's BEAUTIFUL. I love it when they talk back. My Jersey Giant is a talker and I'm sure my neighbors think I'm insane out there gardening, talking to myself, yaddy yaddy yadda.

Hahah Yeah! Mine too! My neighbour stopped to stare when I was telling Wendy not to mess her freshly blown-dry hairdo with dust-bathing in the black mulch in my garden. I looked at her, looked at Wendy, and walked away. My fiancée teased me about it for weeks! Wendy is hilarious. A polish chicken always brightens your days! The way they strut.. the way they bob their head.. The way they LOOK, makes me giggle on the inside.

IMG_0569.jpg

How can this not make you smile?!

IMG_0578.jpg

Here she is wondering whether or not to make a nest in my hair
lol.png

Quote:

Hahah Yeah! Mine too! My neighbour stopped to stare when I was telling Wendy not to mess her freshly blown-dry hairdo with dust-bathing in the black mulch in my garden. I looked at her, looked at Wendy, and walked away. My fiancée teased me about it for weeks! Wendy is hilarious. A polish chicken always brightens your days! The way they strut.. the way they bob their head.. The way they LOOK, makes me giggle on the inside.

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad326/aoxa/IMG_0569.jpg

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad326/aoxa/IMG_0578.jpg
lol.png

Oh, I LOVE them. DH has said no chickens w/ those funny things on their heads. But I'm tempted to bring home some chicks and let them grow up and by then he'll be in love and never know how that all happened. I just love those top knots.

Quote:
Ohhh! So pretty!
smile.png
I love the shiny feathers on Coco!

I have a buff Orpington hen as well. Her name is Olive. I am trying to make her friendly, but she hates me!
barnie.gif

IMG_0628-1.jpg

I just love chickens that yak at you
smile.png
I only have two that talk out of 18. The rest just talk to one another. I know they are talking to me, because they will talk and hop right on my lap as if to say, you are hiding treats under your shirt, aren'tchya?

Quote:

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad326/aoxa/IMG_0569.jpg

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad326/aoxa/IMG_0578.jpg
lol.png

Oh, I LOVE them. DH has said no chickens w/ those funny things on their heads. But I'm tempted to bring home some chicks and let them grow up and by then he'll be in love and never know how that all happened. I just love those top knots.

LOL - My fiancée once said that I could only have 5 chickens max. Now we are up to 18 + a duck. All have names. All are loved so much! I am so shocked that every single one has a different personality. No one chicken acts the same. Even our neighbours know all 19 names by heart! It's wonderful.

I'm sure you could convince him
wink.png
I've heard from a lot of farmers that the men say NO to silkies until they get one.. Then they become obsessed. I have met three breeders of silkies. All are men. One of them only names his silkies
lol.png

I prefer the polish to the silkies to be honest though. My polish hen seeks attention, never avoids it, and my silkies don't avoid attention, but don't seek it.

Your husband would like BR! I try to sell that breed to everyone! It's a really fantastic breed. They are so friendly. They are AMAZING layers, and are beautiful to behold <3

Wow.. This topic got way off hand! Sorry about that!

It actually amazes me how many people try to force chickens to be 'vegetarian'. They're omnivores, and their bodies are biologically designed around that idea. It's one thing to be sentient and to choose to deviate from your biological perogative, and it's another to force a creature to conform to a diet that is against it's nature.

They can't take vitamin pills like humans can, and will seek out sources of protien. Spiders, flies, maggots, earwigs, mice, etc can still get into a 'vegetarian' facility, and you bet that the chickens eat them all. I'd outright laugh at any company that would try to make vegetarian chicken claims.

Oh, I know. Right?!?

I love to let my girls out into the big garden while I'm out there working and I SWEAR they recognize the word "snail". I'll call out, Coco, do you want a snail? And the reply I get is BAWK BAWWWWK BAWWWk as she comes running towards me. I usually give it a bit of a squish between my fingers to crack the shell for her and she does the rest. YUMMO!!!

Then she stays with me for a while because she wants another.

Vegetarian chickens. I should have just started laughing out loud when she said that. I don't know why I'm always trying to be so darn polite all the time.

They well may be Veg. chickens , only because they have no choice! My chickens eat anything that isn't nailed down if they have the choice.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom