3 roo and 2 hen-one hen no egg

blacktan

Hatching
Oct 9, 2023
Hi BYC

It is my first time of raising chickens and first post here. I got 5 chicks in last May, and it turned out to 3 roosters and 2 hens. Since it was my first time, I thought some could be dying, so I got five. I know 1:10 ratio, but my city doesnt allow more than 4 pets.
I am pursuing self-sufficiency life, so I wanted to try chickens for a long time. But, I have another dog which has brain tumor and other health issue, so my buying land and moving is on hold.
I adopted chicks while I was losing my dogs. I wanted to give myself some new pets. So I attached them so much. I dont plan to get rid of any of them.
Anyway, my concern is one of hens is not laying egg. the other is making one egg every day. She is not defective because she has laid before. Recently, I noticed the feeder got some moldy food, so I cleaned and filled up. I have fed them chicken meat and cooked veg, and rice etc before. So at time I fed them, and one day, her egg was thin shell. and if I fed her well with home food, she made an egg too.

Since one is making eggs well, another one is not so good. So I am confused if she is sick or nutritional issues or the ratio issue. I think she get irritated or really run from roosters.

I was thinking to get a couple more hens making her stress less. but I have city rules too. (But I am doing urban farming, so city says not so limit of number for farming.)

what would be the best way?

What is their main feed, besides the treats you listed?

3 roos, are too many for 2 hens/pullets. 1:10 Ratio is for hatcheries, not backyard flocks.
Example: You could have 2, roosters per 6 hens if they get along, & are nice to their ladies. Or even 1 rooster, & 3 hens. But it's all individual preference on a ratio that works for you.

Me myself keep multiple roosters to multiple hens, each coop varies in number though.
One coop of mine currently has too many boys, 4 in total. I'll be removing the Alpha, & an extra cockerel, so that'll leave me two cockerels for breeding. The number of ladies in the coop is 9. So, itll be a 2:9 ratio with my Largefowl birds in this project breeding coop.

The coop also includes 4 OEGBs, 2 roosters, & 2 hens, but they don't hurt anything, & are very tiny.

Back
Top Bottom