Veggie gardens,do u have one?

McEgg

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 27, 2007
Guthrie, Ok
How much stuff do you grow? Do you can/freeze the extras? In the winter, what organic table scrapes do you put in your garden? What have you heard or recommend NOT to put in your garden?
I have heard no meat in your garden or compost pile. In the winter, my garden becomes the compost pile. Figured I'd save a step or two. I make my son go out and turn the soil about once every two weeks and then water it down well.

I grow a few hundred lbs of stuff each year, last year about 500 lbs, froze most of it. Our garden is a compost pile too in the winter, just that all the "new compost" is pecked though by chickens and now frozen to the top of the soil.

I can't compost or turn my garden bedds during the winter, since I have stuff growing in them. Got garlic & onion growing in some, herbs in another, and my strawberries & asparagus filling one up.

I'll sneak some peas, spinach & broccoli out there in another month or so...

must be nice! it was 5 degrees this morning. don't think I could get anything to grow right now. I love winter but wish I could garden in it. Oklahoma is a teaser state anyway. 65 one day 25 the next. But on that 65 degree day, geeeezzzz!!! you really want to get out into the soil, but you got Willie the Weatherman tellin you we are going to get an ice storm in three days.

I don't eat meat, so I don't put that in, but I do eat eggs, fish, and dairy, and all of that goes right in. I'm not as scientific as most folks are with my compost pile, but it always seems to work just fine.

I live in a mobile home and only have the back of the house to grow anything, I usually grow tomatoes and summer squash, which just that one row gives us more than we can eat, more than enough to freeze and give away, winter time the hay from the chicken house goes on top of the soil for next spring planting.My chives grown in a clay pot and so does my parsley, thyme. &rosemary.

Owned by 12 RIRs, 1 pit bull,1 poodle mix, 1yorkie, and 1 crabby gray cat.

Check out the sister site to BYC, The Easy Garden (link at the bottom of this page). I'm new to gardening and I'm getting lots of help and encouragement from the folks on that site. Most of them are people from here, so you won't feel like a stranger!
smile.png

How much stuff do you grow?
DW and I grow a lot, she is an avid canner and freezzer and drier of goods that come out of the garden.

In the winter, what organic table scrapes do you put in your garden? "

not much now that we have the chickens, they eat most everything that is not thrown in the garden.

Since last year was our first year we was able to garden here,( we just bought the land 2 yrs ago) We put in a "test garden" I wasn't sure the location was going to be the best spot, because its on the north side of the house. Well...it was great! The garden grew like crazy. This year we are expanding it..to add potatos..and more carrots and beets! Now I am looking for a place for a pumpkin patch....Ohhhhhh, DH will be upset! LOL

Back
Top Bottom