Veggie treats - diced or simple cut?

drinkoj

Chicken Chaser
May 24, 2020
Upstate South Carolina
Been treating the girls (13 weeks and 5 weeks) to the leftovers of our garden (tomatoes and etc), and have been dicing them up thinking they'd eat the treats better if they were small instead of sliced ends.. Now I'm thinking, "I'm I over thinking this? Should I just toss it out there and let them peck it to pieces?" I throw the treats into the run btw.

I don't chop them up. It gives them something to do if they have to actually peck and break bits off, rather than just guzzle it all down.
That's what I was thinking about. Watching the older ones tossing the dices back like shot of whisky is pretty fun. But their eating them so fast the 5 week olds that I'm integrating into my flock aren't getting a fair shot at the scraps in the main part of the run and relying on what I'm tossing into their safe zone area.

Agree on no need to chop - for bigger whole items (cantaloupe, cucumber, tomatoes) I’ll throw them on the ground and split them open with a shovel to give them easy access to the goodness within.

Back
Top Bottom