Venison recipes needed

buckeye lady

Songster
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
Rootstown Ohio
I have steaks, chops and a couple of roasts. DH and I are tired of the same old recipes. We usually flour and brown steaks and chops then simmer in water, salt, pepper, onion and celery. I usually cut up roast and make stew. We need some new ideas.

I maranade in Apple cider over night (not apple cider vinager) then cook with onions, or I marinade in a little red wine, garlic, onions and soy sauce with seasonings that you like. then broil if the grill is not working.

Both recipies I discard the marinade and leave the onions to cook with it. You can add your favorite BBQ sauce right before cooking too.

Or I slice supper thin (while still slightly froozen) and cook in olive oil and pressed garlic and serve with mixed cheeses and sauteed onions and peppers and hot sauce and make cheese steak sandwiches out of them.

Last edited:
You can make a chicken fried steak to die for. Soak in buttermilk overnight then pound out and dredge in egg, flour, however you like to coat. Make a little milk gravy with the pan drippings. So amazing!

Also the roasts lend themselves well to a cream of mushroom soup crockpot recipe. Oh and stroganoff is delish!

my grandmother makes a glaze for a roast by mixing grape jelly and onion soup mix, sounds strange but is really good.

Butterfly some chops and soak in milk/buttermilk or the apple cider. Take some jalapenos and cut in half legthwise. Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese. Then roll up jalapeno in butterflied chop, wrap with a strip or two of bacon. Use a toothpick to hold together. Then toss on grill.

Here are 2 that we like

We cook roasts in the crock pot or in the oven on low (325*). I usually sear in a pan to seal first. A little liquid smoke, pepper, garlic and some sliced onions. In the crock pot, I would put in some whole russet potatoes. They come out wonderfully!! You cook the roast in the crock pot all day, or the oven for at least 6 hours. When the meat falls apart, then it is done. Sooo good!! Elk roasts are especially good this way.

For steaks or stew meat - Smothered Swiss Steak
Sear steaks in a pan with a little oil and salt and pepper
Put in the crock pot with sliced onions, fresh or canned mushrooms, a can of tomato sauce, a can of cream of mushroom, and a little more salt and pepper.
Crock pot on low 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours or until steaks are tender
Oven - covered for 3 hours on 325*
Serve over egg noodles or rice
I usually add carrots to the recipe so i don't have to make a veggie, too.

I never tire of the floured and pan fried deer steak!! My favorite!!!
Of course we have mule tail deer out here in AZ. I hear that they taste quite a bit different.

Quote:
Okay...THAT sounds delicious!!! I will have to try that.
droolin.gif

I use ground venison in sloppy joes and meatloaf as well. Can' t taste the difference. My daughter likes is better I think. I have also made homemade meatballs in sauce over pasta too.

Back
Top Bottom