Venomous & nonvenomous snakes in the same area

Steve_of_sandspoultry

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
Calling all snake people.

I thought I remember seeing somewhere that the 2 don't like to share the same area. Is there any truth to that? The reason I ask is we had a copperhead take up living in the weeds along a drainage ditch. It was hanging out in a isolated area so I left it alone and it has been there a few weeks now. I have seen it a few times sunning and down in the ditch, we have also noticed that all the other non venomous snakes have gone away. I was seeing corn snakes and black snakes every few days but now zero. So I'm wondering if there is something to it?

Thanks
Steve in NC

I personly would kill the copperhead and welcome back the non-venomus ones! I removed a large king snake from the road in front of my place Saturday before he got flattend on the road, then when I got out of the truck there was a black snake stretchd out by the pond sunning. They are welcome to stay (as long as they stay away from the chicken coop) but yes I do kill all the venomus snakes I see!

This one did happen to have a bad "accident" on Sunday. It decided not to live in the ditch anymore and came way way to close to the house. I actually didn't really want to kill it but it wasn't in a spot where I could get hold of it safely - if you can pick a copperhead safely. So it had to go.

Wonder if I should put the disclaimer on this - "don't try this at home kids" lol

Steve

You tha man steve
celebrate.gif
now you can walk across the yard at night in flip flops....but they may be another so look out! You probably already know this but if you run across a king snake on the road or any where else give him a new home...you cant have enough good snakes around!

i was always told when you see one snake there is usually another snake(must be true cause uually after i find on we find another one not far from it)

Before selling my business I was an exotic snake breeder. I have been interested and worked with reptiles my entire life and I can assure you the 2 do cross paths.

red next to black is a friend of jack, red next to yellow will kill a fellow ............................

We had to kill a large black snake over this past weekend. I was going into the coop WITH MY LITTLE DOG WHO WOULDN'T EVEN BARK AT A SNAKE LET ALONE MESS WITH ONE and there it was just inside the door going into a nesting box!
th.gif
I called my dog who was standing inches from it but he just smiled at me and wagged his tail I bravely reached in and grabbed him by the scruff of his neck....the dog not the snake...and held him to me as I ran to the house yelling for dh to come save my chicks! He did have to kill it inside the coop just as it was going into the brooder room
ep.gif

The next day I saw another black snake going into a pen with roosters in it. I ran to the house again but dh told me not to worry that it wouldn't hurt the roos. It didn't seem to and we couldn't find it when we return. NO copperhead will live at our place if we see one!! Good job!
clap.gif

Quote:
But will they occupy the same area? Just seems strange that when one showed up the others left. Or when I was in the feed barn today I haven't been seeing very much rodent sign - have the non venomous ones ate all there was to eat and moved on?

Interesting creatures those snakes.
smile.png

Steve

Back
Top Bottom