Venomous & nonvenomous snakes in the same area

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Jun 15, 2009.

1. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Snicker .. *snort* ... I think I like you .. lol.

2. Quote:Snicker .. *snort* ... I think I like you .. lol.

You must be a snake wrestler from way back!!!!!!!!!

Steve

3. Faverolle

Faverolle Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:There are a couple ways to get rid of it.

1) if you are sure it's non venomous - jump right in there and wrestle it for awhile then take it for a long walk and turn it loose. It always "wows" the onlookers. [​IMG] - the snake wrestling part

2) since most people don't like plan A you can get a stick and try to direct it into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid - then take it for the walk.

Steve

Steve though I have done my share of wrestling with snakes and bitten a few times by non venomous snakes. People have to remember that non venomous snakes digest their food by bacteria. This is present in their mouth and if they break the skin it is wise to go to the doctor for antibiotics. No need for the ER though. If one of these bacteria gets into the bloodstream after a few days without treatment it is possible to get blood poisoning. Most snakes will not bite, unless you run into a corn snake they are mean little buggers.

Pretty much any snake here will only give a superficial bite that soap and water can clean up. I have been bitten thousands of time, no exaggeration and have not any issue with being bitten yet after cleaning it with soap and water. If you want to be even safer I suppose some antibiotic cream may be a little added protection.

4. wxdude99

wxdude99 Songster

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I live in central Alabama and I've seen both copperheads and rat snakes in the woods behind my house. I do kill the copperheads when I see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: