Vent area looks like it has a scab and protruding, help!

workaholic90

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
My girl had some poop in her rear so I picked her up to clean her and realized the vent looks prolapsed but it also looks like she has a scab/infection.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Easter egger about 5 years old and normal for weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She is molting but all else seems fine.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Molting for a few weeks, behavior is fine.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Things are the same.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Normal pellet food and water with ACV. I provide meal worms daily perhaps I am giving too much?
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Right after I cleaned her she pooped a normal looking poop.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Rinsed her vent but the scab/yellow stuff doesn't look like it's going to just fall off. I have also separated her.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Do myself. I am going to soak her now in a bath but I am unsure if I should try pushing her vent inside with the exterior material.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Attached.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. They use soft pine shavings for nest boxes and sand for coop. Currently she is in a crate with food and water.

Looking for any advice or if she should be culled the way this looks. She is a sweet gal and has not exhibited any different behavior then normal.

Looking forward to your recommendations.
Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180801_181932.jpg
    IMG_20180801_181932.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20180801_181940.jpg
    IMG_20180801_181940.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 179
If she were mine, I would give her a daily bath in warm soapy water or Epsom salts water to soak for a bit. Then I would take a washcloth and try to gently remove some of the tan scab. It should bleed a little, and that means that you are getting down to healthy pink tissue. Keep it moist with plain Neosporin ointment so that the pink tissue doesn’t dry out. Honey, hemorrhoid cream, or hydrocortisone cream are all good to use, and may help decrease swelling. That may be why the tan scab was dorming. Pooping is good, and that means she is not plugged up from egg binding. Try to push it back inside when possible after debriding the scab. It may pop back out, but keep pushing it inside. Here is some reading about prolapsed vents:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

If she were mine, I would give her a daily bath in warm soapy water or Epsom salts water to soak for a bit. Then I would take a washcloth and try to gently remove some of the tan scab. It should bleed a little, and that means that you are getting down to healthy pink tissue. Keep it moist with plain Neosporin ointment so that the pink tissue doesn’t dry out. Honey, hemorrhoid cream, or hydrocortisone cream are all good to use, and may help decrease swelling. That may be why the tan scab was dorming. Pooping is good, and that means she is not plugged up from egg binding. Try to push it back inside when possible after debriding the scab. It may pop back out, but keep pushing it inside. Here is some reading about prolapsed vents:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
My chicken has this problem can you leave the vent scab to drop off I’ve been using canasten cream as mine had vent gleat but the scab is large I’m needing advice I’m bathing and keeping clean and in a dark coop to allow healing am I doing this right x

Back
Top Bottom