vent fleet with prolapse--AFTER vet visit

This is a complicated case!

I commend you for your willingness to help her and for your acknowledgment that if need be, you’ll put her down.

Photos would help me because I’m a very visual person and it helps my brain come up with options.

I would especially like to see how much necrotic tissue we are talking about.

A small amount could slough off.
A large amount, in the presence of a significant bacterial infection, will spread.

Were antibiotics prescribed by the vet?
How are you addressing the matter of gleet?

I liked the link @Wyorp Rock provided for many reasons. *The one with the vetwrap support, above and below the vent, like a hernia band sort of.

I would be keen to use that idea and not be afraid of circulatory damage. If you can get a finger under it, it’s not too tight. Just check her feet to make sure they aren’t ice cold.
Even if you applied it this morning and checked it late tonight- while applying hydrocortisone cream and/or preparation H throughout the day, you might see some appreciable improvement.
If so, I’d continue this approach.

(Prep. H. Doesn’t hurt on application, says me, lol who had wicked hemmorhoids
with all four pregnancies.)

At this point, I wouldn’t recommend stitching since it’s not a straightforward case of prolapse, simply because
it’s not a long term solution
And
Stitching would open up avenues for the bacterial infection to spread higher into the vent which could lead to devastating consequences
And
I’m quite certain it would be painful as all getout for your poor girl and she doesn’t deserve that at this point.

All good info from others already. A picture of her cleaned vent or prolapse would be helpful. Are you sure there was actually vent gleet before the prolapse. A lot of people seem to think that a soiled vent is vent gleet, when it actually is a smelly, nasty, usually fungal infection, that causes excoriated red skin and white patches around a bare vent.

I would just keep the red vent tissue moist with ointment and keep pushing it back inside whenever you can. Many use Nustock cream on prolapses, and it is antifungal and antibacterial. Keep the vent clean with bathing, and it should stay in eventually. When the internal tissue stays exposed to air, it can dry out and become dark and necrotic or dead.

Update: This morning when I checked on her, the prolapse was still inside! It did pop out later when she pooped, but I wasn't surprised. I cleaned her, applied Vetrimycin and Prep H, and wrapped her again, but this time I placed a clean baby wipe over the vent because last time I think the (rough feeling) vet wrap irritated her sensitive skin. She is eating and drinking her water/ACV, so that's good. I'm checking her 4-5 times a day, helping her poop, and putting her back in the bathroom with only 8 hours of dim light--that's so she can see to eat and drink. She seems quite happy in the tub, nesting on a pile of towels that get cleaned every day. (Thank heaven I have a mountain of doggie/pet towels.).

No--the vet did not prescribe any antibiotics. :-(. But the "gleet" ooze has eased up considerably over the past few days.

I'll try to remember to take a picture the next time I examine her. Good news--she and I are really bonding. ;-)

Attachments

• dottie best-_AHP2571-2.jpeg
    dottie best-_AHP2571-2.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 6
Good news! I just checked her (see photos) and her prolapse is in--or not present at the moment. She had also eaten quite a bit, which means she will poop later, and I'll probably have to fix it. But you can see the bandage I came up with--a clean baby wipe, folded, against her tender tush with the vet wrap to apply gentle pressure. I take it beneath her wings and affix it below her neck, at her breastbone, and as it works its way down she usually steps out of it. But even if she keeps it in place for a couple of hours, I figure that helps.
IMG_5058.jpeg

IMG_8552.jpeg

Update again! I was on that Poultry DVM website and saw that they list Metronidazole as a medicine for vent gleet. I thought the name sounded familiar, and what do you know! I have a tube on my bathroom counter; the doctor gave me the cream for roseacea! I looked it up and here's what I found:

Metronidazole is primarily used to treat: bacterial vaginosis, pelvic inflammatory disease (along with other antibacterials like ceftriaxone), pseudomembranous colitis, aspiration pneumonia, rosacea (topical), fungating wounds (topical), intra-abdominal infections, lung abscess, periodontitis, amoebiasis, oral infections, giardiasis, trichomoniasis, and infections caused by susceptible anaerobic organisms such as Bacteroides, Fusobacterium, Clostridium, Peptostreptococcus, and Prevotella species.[11] It is also often used to eradicate Helicobacter pylori along with other drugs and to prevent infection in people recovering from surgery.[11]

I'm going to start treating Dottie with this and see if it speeds the gleet recovery along.

The vent looks good.
I'm not seeing evidence of vent gleet?
It is mostly cleaned up, except for little bits on her feathers. Trust me--the yellowish, stinky, running goop was there in full measure 3-4 days ago. But it seems to be less and less every day. Now I'm just dealing with a very red, very sore looking prolapse with white-ish material on it. When/if the prolapse appears again, I'll take a photo.

Back
Top Bottom