vent fleet with prolapse--AFTER vet visit

I don't know of a hatchery that administers the vaccination in ovo, it would be nice if you found out.
From the little I know about in ovo vaccination, is used mainly in commercial broiler operations with an automated system.
For hatcheries' whose main focus and customer base is backyard chickens, the cost of setting that up would likely be impractical.
I suspect you are right--but we all know technology gets smaller, better, and cheaper as the years go by. ;-). Here's hoping they find a way to eradicate that disease.

I have had only one experience with prolapse. My biggest girl, a GW, presented with her vent hanging out.
After much research, I soaked her in an Epsom salts bath for about twenty minutes. BTW---Preparation H is no longer recommended. As a nurse I questioned the Prep H approach---this would restrict blood flow to the area. A prolapsed vent is inflamed displaced tissue and restricting blood flow would reduce the size of the prolapse but also deprive it of blood flow. Not good for healing. To restrict blood flow to the area would reduce its size but not address the issue which is the displacement of the vent.
Following a veterinary site's advice, I used cortisone cream (which would reduce inflammation but not restrict blood flow). I put on gloves and slathered my finger with the cortisone cream and gently reinserted the prolapsed vent and held it in place for thirty minutes.
Needless to say we developed quite an up close and personal relationship during that thirty minutes. After half an hour of lullabies, rocking back and forth, and idly wondering WTF I was doing, I released her back into the flock. I reapplied the cortisone cream daily for several days and can happily report that, months later, she has had no further issues.
Maybe I am just lucky?

Received my report back from the state lab today. It was Merrick’s disease. Here is the summation:

The body of an 8-month-old, female Wyandotte chicken is submitted for standard necropsy on December 27, 2018. The hen is in excellent body condition score with abundant subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue. Autolysis is moderate.
There is multifocal to confluent effacement of the myocardium, lungs, liver, ovary, and right sciatic nerve by variably sized, firm, white to tan masses. The spleen is diffusely, mildly enlarged. The left sciatic nerve is diffusely, mildly enlarged. All other tissues and organs examined are grossly within normal limits.
Multiple tissues: lymphoma.

PS. The report said that the prolapse/vent gleet was probably a result of the Marek’s in that the Hen was immuno suppressed and open to possible infection. In other words, if she had not had Marek’s, she might not have had the complications with vent fleet and prolapse.

Back
Top Bottom