Vent gleet or bacterial infection?

more_old_dogs

Chirping
Mar 18, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
My hen appears to have vent gleet that’s gotten significantly more yellow and watery than the pic. I’ve given her 400 IU of nystatin 2x day for 3 days and she still has no appetite and is lethargic. Should I try a different antifungal or antibiotic even? I have access to fluconazole and ordered the type of baytril you add to water.
057E8E82-DAF1-48E5-99A6-BBF0E0B527FC.jpeg

It would be good to determine if her crop is emptying overnight, get a fecal sample checked for worms too. You don't mention if she's laying or not, but if not, then feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid which would point more toward reproductive issues.
Is there a yeasty odor?
I would work on getting her hydrated, then see if she will eat. Hard to tell if that's vent gleet, poop stuck to the feathers or if she's having reproductive issues.

It would be good to determine if her crop is emptying overnight, get a fecal sample checked for worms too. You don't mention if she's laying or not, but if not, then feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid which would point more toward reproductive issues.
Is there a yeasty odor?
I would work on getting her hydrated, then see if she will eat. Hard to tell if that's vent gleet, poop stuck to the feathers or if she's having reproductive issues.

8D2F3F19-C933-4907-AD98-56539F2474B8.jpeg

Thanks for the reply! She’s not laying but neither is another NHR in my flock bc of short days. I felt to see if she’s egg bound and she is not. There is an odor. It’s kind of nasty, not super yeasty. Her crop is emptying.

Last edited:
I think she laid internally.
She may have laid internally or is having some reproductive issues like Peritonitis, cancer, etc.
Does that feel fluid filled, hard, squishy, etc.? Sometimes if there's fluid it can be drained to make the hen more comfortable.

I've had hens with swelling of the abdomen that were able to bounce back for a period of time. I do monitor them, if they continue to decline or don't improve over the course of a couple of days with supportive care (keeping them hydrated, vitamins, etc.) then I start making decisions whether to continue or not.

Vent Gleet usually has a white pasty discharge, your hen may just have poop that is sticking to her feathers since her abdomen is swollen.

Back
Top Bottom