vent gleet or prolapse how to treat? laying hen

jolenep

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 13, 2017
i have a hen that looks like vent gleet and prolapse. Hen is laying. Can you give me some treatment
protocols and can I get this a tractor supply only poultry store here.

Post pic of the vent area & list the symptoms she is experiencing ...
You can also search this forum for information.
This is from my notes :
Prolapse Vent - hemorrhoid cream, hydrocortisone
Vent Gleet - bath, anti - fungal cream, Nystatin liquid, avoid “watery” foods

Wondering if you could help me? This is as good of photo I could get of Theresa. The photo is more red than it actually is. She is eating, drinking and acting normal. Is this vent gleet? I’ve bathed and treated as such.

Attachments

• B507564E-4231-49EF-B299-9ADCE561FBA1.jpeg
    B507564E-4231-49EF-B299-9ADCE561FBA1.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 11
@KoaLovesChickens

You may want to start your own post so we don't get confused to whom we're replying to, include the following info. Does not look to be a Prolapse but never experienced Vent Gleet either.

Is there a discharge or just build up poop that was washed?
What other symptoms?
How old?
Is she laying? If stopped, when was the last time she laid?
Feeding?
Have you checked for mites/lice?
Have you seen others pecking at her?

@aart @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @casportpony
Thank you in advance, I have never experienced Vent Gleet :fl

Wondering if you could help me? This is as good of photo I could get of Theresa. The photo is more red than it actually is. She is eating, drinking and acting normal. Is this vent gleet? I’ve bathed and treated as such.
The vent area looks as if she was pecked by the other chickens. Can you see wounds or pecks? I would apply some plain antibiotic ointment, and separate her into a pen or dog crate with food and water. A daily soak in warm Epsom salts might be helpful, followed by the antbiotic ointment. Vent pecking can be a result of overcrowding, too little protein in the diet, too much light in the coop, boredom from not getting outside, and others.

She does not look like she has wounds from pecking. We found out she has worms! :( We had been soaking her daily and she wasn't improving. Come to find out, she has worms. She is being treated and is now on the mend. :) We are spraying her hind end with some Vetricyn spray to help with her owies on her bum.

We'll be using Safeguard for goats, suspension liquid. We were instructed to do 5cc's for 1 gallon for 5 days. Repeat in 10 days, for 1 day. Mix fresh daily. I've heard mixed reviews for egg withdrawal from none to 7-10 days... any insight on that?

I'm a little confused on coop clean up, too. Any insight for that? Should we be changing pine shavings daily? We do deep litter method as we live in northern MN. It is getting nicer but temps are about 30 with lows in mid-teens. It's been humid, too. It's vented nicely but I'm wondering if the humidity is keeping it too wet?

SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is not given in water, and it will settle out. It is supposed to be given orally to each chicken to make sure they get the proper dose. Dosage is 1/4 ml (0.25 ml) per pound of weight—1.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken. Give it once and again in 10 days for roundworms, or give it for 5 consecutive days for most chicken worms, including capillary worms and gapeworms. Egg withdrawal is usually 14 days from the last dose.

It is not necessary to change bedding daily. I rake mine to aerate it, and add clean shavings on top as needed. Then I change it out before it becomes smelly of ammonia or damp.

Back
Top Bottom