Vent Gleet

Candacestlouis

Songster
Jan 1, 2021
Aberdeen, WA
My one year old polish hen has what I believe to be vent gleet. I have been soaking her butt everyday and today I put ACV in her water and tried to give her yogurt but she wasn’t impressed so I will need to mix it with something. She’s eating drinking and pooping normally but she’s been moving a little slow and I can tell she’s not herself. Is there something else I can do to help her? I have read about giving her over the counter meds for yeast but I am so confused about the proper dosage. Any tips?

My one year old polish hen has what I believe to be vent gleet. I have been soaking her butt everyday and today I put ACV in her water and tried to give her yogurt but she wasn’t impressed so I will need to mix it with something. She’s eating drinking and pooping normally but she’s been moving a little slow and I can tell she’s not herself. Is there something else I can do to help her? I have read about giving her over the counter meds for yeast but I am so confused about the proper dosage. Any tips?
Sorry no one has answered your thread sooner.
Give this article a read. You might want to try the epsom salt flush. Make SURE your bird has copious amounts of fresh water available to her after you give her the flush or let her drink it. I would also set her up somewhere that the mess is more easily cleaned up.
After she's been flushed (think of this like what a bowel prep would be for a human), feed her Greek yogurt mixed into a mash made from her pellets. If she likes meal worms or raising or something like that, mix that into the mash too and she is more likely to take to the yogurt.
The day after the flush you can also start her on Monistat 7. You would fill the applicator 1/2 full and carefully insert it into her vent 1/2 way and dispense. I would do this about 1 hour before dawn when the majority of her nightly poops are done and she hasn't eaten anything yet. Give her that daily for 7 days. I would keep her in the house where you can easily care for her and monitor her.
Also consider fermenting all or 1/2 of the flocks feed intake. It is very easy to do and it provides healthy probiotics to keep the gut better balanced.

Back
Top Bottom