Vent gleet?

Yeah she actually seemed more energetic at first with her soaking. Kind of fought a bit to get out.

Yes, um...her rectum area feel hard & like 2 eggs are in it. They kind of move a bit. It's down lower than her vent yes.
She has pooped some. When working with her she's pooped too.

I have wondered about a tumor. What are the symptoms? I assume basically a mercy killing if that's the case.
@Wyorp Rock

I'd give her a few days and see if she's able to expel anything.

That's unless you feel she's suffering and in a lot of pain.
Hens can have various reproductive issues and live for a while with them, they may decline, but perk up with supportive care - sort of go back and forth.

Many of these conditions can look very similar when it comes to symptoms as far as, lethargy, difficulty breathing, crop not emptying, off colored poop, etc. Sadly, often to be able to assign a "name" to the condition is when you lose them and investigate further to see what was going on inside.

Putting one down when they are in decline is definitely an option. It all depends on your keeping goals/how you feel about your birds. Some keep them more as pets, so the decision is much harder. For me, mine are "pet livestock", so I do provide supportive care, treat symptoms and perhaps give medication (antibiotics) IF I think they would be of benefit. But sometimes it's very clear that a hen is not improving and I just put them down.

I'd give her a few days and see if she's able to expel anything.

That's unless you feel she's suffering and in a lot of pain.
Hens can have various reproductive issues and live for a while with them, they may decline, but perk up with supportive care - sort of go back and forth.

Many of these conditions can look very similar when it comes to symptoms as far as, lethargy, difficulty breathing, crop not emptying, off colored poop, etc. Sadly, often to be able to assign a "name" to the condition is when you lose them and investigate further to see what was going on inside.

Putting one down when they are in decline is definitely an option. It all depends on your keeping goals/how you feel about your birds. Some keep them more as pets, so the decision is much harder. For me, mine are "pet livestock", so I do provide supportive care, treat symptoms and perhaps give medication (antibiotics) IF I think they would be of benefit. But sometimes it's very clear that a hen is not improving and I just put them down.
Final Update:

She was dispatched today. Not any better. All she would do was drink that I could see.
And it looks like she passed a lash egg today. We didnt know what it was, but my cousin mentioned the term so I reacquainted myself with them. Ick. Pretty sure that's what it was.
She didn't even bleed at the end. None of the ones we've done before have done that. So she definitely was off.
Oh well. We tried to take care of her.
Farewell to Penguin the barred rock. :(

And yes, we are like you in that aspect. Care if we can help maybe, but in the end better for the animal & us, if it's not improving to dispatch it.

Final Update:

She was dispatched today. Not any better. All she would do was drink that I could see.
And it looks like she passed a lash egg today. We didnt know what it was, but my cousin mentioned the term so I reacquainted myself with them. Ick. Pretty sure that's what it was.
She didn't even bleed at the end. None of the ones we've done before have done that. So she definitely was off.
Oh well. We tried to take care of her.
Farewell to Penguin the barred rock. :(

And yes, we are like you in that aspect. Care if we can help maybe, but in the end better for the animal & us, if it's not improving to dispatch it.
I'm sorry to hear about Penguin:(

She may have had more lash material laid internally and that's the "eggs" you were feeling under the vent.
Even so, it's the pits to lose them.

Thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom