Vent of hen that is laying vs. non-laying

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
What is the vent supposed to look like on a hen that is laying?

What about while molting? Will it change to resemble that of a "spent" hen?

What about when they're too young to lay or about to lay...does the appearance change?

What about if they have any parasites or sick or something and aren't laying because of that? Does the vent appear as that of a laying hen or non-laying?

So, what all does the vent tell you regarding laying/non-laying?

ETA: I just re-read my last question....."what all does the vent TELL you...." LOL
lau.gif
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
The vent tells you... OK Not going there
lau.gif

Anyway, a layer has a moist vent. Non layers vents are dry. The layer's vent is also bigger. Another thing is you can feel for their pubic bones a little above the vent area and see how far apart they are. If they seem to be stuck together almost, no laying is happening. Generally it's said that once you can get three fingers between the pubic bones, they should be laying. I have one that I think just laid her first pullet egg and hers are only two fingers apart, but then last week they were so close together I couldn't really even get one finger between them.

Last edited:
Quote:
LMAO yeah I guess you're right. That's what I get for trying to think this early in the morning
gig.gif
Heck, they're there someplace!

Quote:
LMAO yeah I guess you're right. That's what I get for trying to think this early in the morning
gig.gif
Heck, they're there someplace!

Let the VENT TELL you where it is! LMAO
lau.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom