Vent prolapse

Ok so I just gave her a bath and some of the dead skin come off but not all of it is there something I can put on it to make the dead skin come off faster or just keep giving her baths and soaking til it all comes off ??

Keep soaking for about 20 minutes, then rubbing it with a rag until you see some blood. Neosporin ointment should keep it soft and moist. Do you have any pictures? How much dark tissue is there? If she was prolapsed for awhile before you discovered it, there could be some vent damage.

Well she layed an egg Tuesday and started bleeding so we took her to the vet, she did a hysterectomy on her that night we picked her up today. Still a little tired but should be back to normal in about a week, just no eggs from her.

@Eggcessive, we have a hen with what I think is a prolapsed vent. The day we found it, the tissue was 3x this size, red and bleeding. We soaked with epson salts 2x a day and applied aquaphor, (b/c that is what we had), and applied witch hazel. I thought I had gotten the vent pushed back in...on day 2, and awoke to discover her looking like this, this morning (day 3). Is this just dead tissue I should scrub away? Or is this her prolapsed oviduct, all dried out? She is eating, drinking and pooping. We have her separated out from the rest of the flock in a dog crate in the garage.... Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 10
@Eggcessive, we have a hen with what I think is a prolapsed vent. The day we found it, the tissue was 3x this size, red and bleeding. We soaked with epson salts 2x a day and applied aquaphor, (b/c that is what we had), and applied witch hazel. I thought I had gotten the vent pushed back in...on day 2, and awoke to discover her looking like this, this morning (day 3). Is this just dead tissue I should scrub away? Or is this her prolapsed oviduct, all dried out? She is eating, drinking and pooping. We have her separated out from the rest of the flock in a dog crate in the garage.... Thanks in advance!
It looks dark like the prolapse may have dead tissue. But there looks like dried blood below it, so do you think the other chickens pecked her? If the tissue is black, I would try to soak her again and rub some of it off. If it is the whole prolapse that is dead, she might not survive. But if you can soak and scrub off some of the dead tissue, to where it bleeds slightly—that is called debriding—you might be ablt to save the vent tissue. Always keep the tissue moist with oil or antibacterial ointment. If you take more pictures be sure to get the light on the vent.

Back
Top Bottom