Vent protection from blowing snow

Yeah. It would've looked nicer if it was hanging straight down... But that's just me being picky.
Yabbut ... The way they are, they're not likely to be torn or damaged by high winds. Was it me, I'd leave them. I like it the way it is. But obvi, it's not me. Lol. 😉

I loved my fancy vent awning so much that I decided to make one for the outward-facing long side of the coop, too! We have a nor'easter on the way with a projected 2 feet of snow and high winds for tomorrow, so I wanted to be prepared. I did the same thing as before. Long board, top-hinged, resting on two side pieces of wood, with shingles on top (I bent them the same way so they'd be consistent with the first awning, even though the angle was bugging me). I'm very happy with how it turned out!

Now 2 of the 4 sides have awnings. The short back side doesn't need any additional protection, because that's where the lean-to roof slants down over top of the vent and the roof overhang protects it fully. So there's only the other long side left now. It faces the run and is hard to get to because of the welded wire across the top of the run. We'll see how things look after the storm tomorrow and if I need to do anything about it.. Hoping not.

1643405557771.png

1643405643423.png

1643405623014.png

I’m glad I made the second awning, but I’ll definitely need a third, for the run side as well! The storm we had earlier in the month dumped over a foot of snow, and I only had the first awning then, but there was no snow in the coop. Now I have two awnings and there’s barely an inch or two outside, but the wind must be stronger because there’s a little snow in the coop already, on the run side 😞 I guess I’ll need an awning there after all.

E962D49D-FC23-4EB3-989D-225D39CF00E2.jpeg

Great Idea. I need to do something to block mine off but still allow air in since I have snow blowing in my coop today. :( I can't fix it right now so trying to think of something to stop it from coming in today. Only plan I have is to put plastic over that vent and hope it blocks most of it but still allows enough air in and out from the others.

Great Idea. I need to do something to block mine off but still allow air in since I have snow blowing in my coop today. :( I can't fix it right now so trying to think of something to stop it from coming in today. Only plan I have is to put plastic over that vent and hope it blocks most of it but still allows enough air in and out from the others.
That’s what I did this morning. Blocked off the run-side vent with plastic from the inside, to stop the snow. I might keep the plastic there until spring and then put a proper awning over that vent when it’s less unpleasant to work outside. Thanks to my generous total vent area, I still have 8+ square feet of open (and weather protected) vent area for my 7 birds even with the plastic blocking off the run side.

DF49B7B7-A653-405E-BE0B-311618CE2CA1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom