vent sexing

starfoxfarm

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Rogersville, TN
My Coop
My Coop
does anyone know how to vent sex the day old chicks ,like they do in the hatcheries???
D.gif

Remember, you can't do this on any bantam breeds....the hatcheries don't even to it. I guess it is because they are so small. Take your time and be as gentle as possible. Start by pulling gently down at the bottom of the vent then use your other fingers to roll the rest of the vent open. I use the tail bone as an anchor sometime, something to gently push against. Good luck and be careful. This should be done very early after the chicks hatch. This little guy was still wet.

It is best to do it w/in the first 24 hours. Earlier is best. When the chick is first hatched the vent is very soft and pliable. It stiffens up the older the chick gets. As you can see from the pic, this chick was still a bit wet. I find w/ the chick being wet it is easier to grip. If the feathers are soft, wet your fingers slightly so you are able to get some traction. :)

What would be real helpful to all of us are some good pictures of these "bead" examples. All the pics I can find on-line are real blurry or a drawing out of a book. I would love to be able to sex silkies. I have not gotten that far yet since the chicks are so small. I would hate to hurt one. P'fowls, can you bless us with some good pics? Am I correct in sexing the pictures above as a male? I am still just in the experimenting phase.

Am I correct in sexing the pictures above as a male? I am still just in the experimenting phase.

I would not say on that one as we dont vent sex. To many variations. We have 95-100% sexing accuracy with my wife and I sexing by the feathers. We can pretty much sex them from the day they are born to they crow or lay. As they get older you change spots where you look at the feathers. Hatcheries will not sex silkies because they do not have feathers, they have more of a fur when chicks. My wife has gotten to where she can sex silkies. We dont sex them for customers yet. We want to make sure and check our accuracy on them a little more. I would add photos, but it would be hard to show you how to do it in a picture. Its not anything that you can explain with words and people understand unless you are here by my side watching me in person. Sorry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom