Ventilated but Free of Drafts

Pics
@brooklynzoo - you are still trying to keep the birds warm. Don't worry about it. They keep themselves warm, if they are out of direct wind. If they are off the floor, cold air sinks below them. If you look in the shed, and their feathers are blowing due to a draft, then they are cold. If they are all puffed up, sitting down on the perch, then they are warm.

Mrs K

@brooklynzoo - you are still trying to keep the birds warm. Don't worry about it. They keep themselves warm, if they are out of direct wind. If they are off the floor, cold air sinks below them. If you look in the shed, and their feathers are blowing due to a draft, then they are cold. If they are all puffed up, sitting down on the perch, then they are warm.

Mrs K
ok! smithsonian says "Their first layer of defense against the cold is their outer-most one: feathers. There’s a good reason why people love down-filled winter coats―feathers are fantastic insulation." starting to get it now...🙈

ok! smithsonian says "Their first layer of defense against the cold is their outer-most one: feathers. There’s a good reason why people love down-filled winter coats―feathers are fantastic insulation." starting to get it now...🙈

Just watching a cold hardy chicken when it's 0°F and they are going to the roost for the night and the feet retract up into the warm fuzzy bottom and if it's really cold the head will disappear under a wing. With the feathers fluffed out it traps little air pockets that act as insulation. They can sleep in the trees during the winter!

JT

i have a once-inch gap on the front and back (6ft long ends) just below the roof edge. is this enough ventilation for 6x4 coop (4.5ft height)? i would add more but then the problem is keeping out the rain (a near constant here and seems to be more of a problem for moisture inside - hens coming in with muddy feet etc). so far the droppings seem to dry out fairly quickly and little smell inside.

i have a once-inch gap on the front and back (6ft long ends) just below the roof edge. is this enough ventilation for 6x4 coop (4.5ft height)? i would add more but then the problem is keeping out the rain (a near constant here and seems to be more of a problem for moisture inside - hens coming in with muddy feet etc). so far the droppings seem to dry out fairly quickly and little smell inside.
Probably not, but depends on several things.
Start a new thread here with pics of your coop.

i have a once-inch gap on the front and back (6ft long ends) just below the roof edge. is this enough ventilation for 6x4 coop (4.5ft height)?

That's not a lot of ventilation, if my math is right... 1 sq ft total? Ideally you want 10% of floor space/ 1 sq ft per chicken, whichever is greater.

Your hens tracking in moisture has nothing to do with rain getting in - actually that should encourage you to put in more vents to make sure that moisture gets out. Photos of your coop and the vents would be helpful.

After a few years of no chickens due to job-related factors, I'm reading up and refreshing my knowledge.

Here's a couple pictures of the coop and run that we designed to suit the HOT, HUMID summers and mild winters of central North Carolina. We never closed the pop door because the run was predator hardened. They always chose to sleep inside though.

Hurricane Florence came through after the coop had been sitting unused for a couple years. When I looked inside it was perfectly dry.

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

When I had the birds there was never any significant odor and heat did not build up.

Back
Top Bottom