Ventilation concern

gallo pinto

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
First off, I'm from the SF Bay Area, so I think even if this were an issue in harsher climates, it probably won't be an issue for me, but I'd love to have that confirmed.

I'm building a coop with a slanted roof, not a peak. My idea was to have ventilation at the highest point, along the front of the coop. That's obviously where hot air could collect and then vent out. As far as air intake was concerned, I was thinking of have venting along the bottom back, so you'd get a convection effect bringing cooler, dryer air in from the bottom while venting the hotter, moist air up top. This would obviously cause a draft which could be bad for the chickens while roosting in the winter, but if the poop board extends out further than the roost, it should create a windbreak protecting them from the actual draft. Am I wrong? I'm not a physicist or weatherman, but it seems like they'd be okay while still benefiting from good ventilation.

What are your low winter time temps? I am in agreement that you want some venting both LOW and HIGH to take advantage of natural air movement patterns. However, I'd not put A LOT of venting at floor level. Is your coop a walk in? I'm in Maine, so we get plenty of sub zero temps here. I have 3 windows, a floor level, (actually 1' above floor so it doesn't interfere with deep litter), soffit vents, and gable vents in my coop. Lots of ventilation is good, and in your climate, you can most likely leave it open year round. I do close my floor level vent off when we have sub zero temps, and within the last month have opened it back up again, even though temps have occasionally dropped into single digits since then! You might want to take a look at the Woods open air style coop, and see what helpful information you can glean from that design to help you plan venting for YOUR coop.

I like your idea and think it would work fine for your climate. I wouldn't worry too much about a draft. You just don't want the interior of your coop to be windy. With your temps, a draft is not going to bother the birds. I don't know how big your coop is going to be. Mine is only 5X5 and I don't do a poop board. The entire floor under the roost is 1x2 inch welded wire. I brush it off occasionally with a deck brush for what poop doesn't fall through to the ground below. Some pics before the run was built and after. I've added a closable pop door (not seen in these pics), but it stays open 24/7.
IMG_2136.JPG
IMG_2137.JPG
IMG_2138.JPG
IMG_2257.JPG
IMG_2180.JPG

Just make the intake vents adjustable and you'll be fine. The birds will appreciate extra air flow in summer and you can close the vents if you find they are allowing too much flow during winter.

First off, I'm from the SF Bay Area, so I think even if this were an issue in harsher climates, it probably won't be an issue for me, but I'd love to have that confirmed.

I'm building a coop with a slanted roof, not a peak. My idea was to have ventilation at the highest point, along the front of the coop. That's obviously where hot air could collect and then vent out. As far as air intake was concerned, I was thinking of have venting along the bottom back, so you'd get a convection effect bringing cooler, dryer air in from the bottom while venting the hotter, moist air up top. This would obviously cause a draft which could be bad for the chickens while roosting in the winter, but if the poop board extends out further than the roost, it should create a windbreak protecting them from the actual draft. Am I wrong? I'm not a physicist or weatherman, but it seems like they'd be okay while still benefiting from good ventilation.

@imnukensc , Do you have a skirt around that coop to keep rats and weasels from coming up through the wire grid?

I do not. Although we supposedly have them, I've never seen a weasel in my nearly 65 years here nor heard of anyone having trouble with them. Rats, so far, have not been a concern, either. There's no longer any farm land close by here and I keep no food or water in the coop. If either weasels or rats become a problem, I can pretty quickly skirt the coop, but so far there has been no need to.

You have the right idea with vents high and low, but put the low vents in the front below the high vents....not under the roosts. You could use one like this and if concerned about predators, nail or screw hardware cloth over the opening.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/D-A-MFG...od-Square-Louver-Gable-Vent-12-X-12/202524585

Purpose of low floor vents is two fold.....allows a place for makeup air to enter, and a place for CO2......which is heavy and sinks to the floor.........to drain out. Louver vents keep rain out and direct airflow towards the floor.....which also helps keep the litter dry and acts as a baffle to reduce drafts. As in well ventilated, but draft free.

1 SF vent area per 10 SF floor area.

And face the front of the house......the high side....south to the winter sun.

Back
Top Bottom