Ventilation in nesting boxes?

loopycoops

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2022
Whoop Whoop, Tasmania, Australia
Hi everyone!
I'm currently building a loop style pvc chicken coop and want to include 2-3 nesting boxes.
I've looked at several nesting box designs but I don't think I've seen any that include ventilation. Is that correct?
I visited my local animal tucker box shop and found a metal coop that I considering purchasing. That was until I went into it and realised how hot it was and how there wasn't any ventilation in it at all other than an open entry in the front.
Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to have my hens uncomfortable when/if they are broody.
Thank you!
-Richard

The only ventilation in my nest boxes are through the entrance.
You don't want broody hens setting in the nest box so don't worry about that. If and when you get one and you are ready to let her set, she will need to be grafted to a broody nest using fake eggs.
Thanks for that- being new to chickens I had misunderstood the purpose of a nest box.
Can you please help with a bit more info? Are the nesting boxes only for egg collection and not for a broody hen?
What's an idea situation for a broody hen? What (and where) does she need?
Thanks so much!!
-Richard

Thanks for that- being new to chickens I had misunderstood the purpose of a nest box.
Can you please help with a bit more info? Are the nesting boxes only for egg collection and not for a broody hen?
What's an idea situation for a broody hen? What (and where) does she need?
Thanks so much!!
-Richard
Nest boxes are for daily egg collection. All the hens are encouraged to use them so you don't have a daily egg hunt.
That is typically where broody hens kick off.
As for what to do when that happens, it's easier to just direct you to an article I wrote regarding broody hen management.

I don't know how hot it gets in Tasmania, but here we had several weeks above 100 last summer, and I really struggled to keep the hens cool-ish while they were laying. Those cozy nest boxes are too cozy in hot weather! If you get high temps, ventilated or even open-top nest boxes are a must, IMO.

Right now, I'm using plastic dome-shaped cat litter boxes that are ventilated at top. I'm not sure yet whether or not they'll be cool enough in the summer. (I have a better coop than last year, so that should help.)

Sorry it took so long. As soon as I promised photos it started to pour rain. :lau

Here's the outside view, where you can see from the build-up of shavings that the dividers don't go all the way to the back wall:
0223221140.jpg

The interior view of the box that Sesame was in:
0223221142a.jpg

The anti-roost-cover that also doesn't go all the way to the wall and a close-up:
0223221142b.jpg
0223221142c.jpg

And here you see the interior structure behind the anti-roost cover. Note that the dividers are not secured at the top back, partly for ease of construction and partly to ensure ventilation -- because this is the west(ish), wall, which *does* get sun in the late afternoon:
0223221144.jpg

The gap at the top of the anti-roost cover creates a chimney effect when the nests heat up, removing the hot air and sucking cool air in from the interior of the coop.

This is necessary in my climate, where it *can* get hot enough to have the eggs start incubating in the boxes during particularly brutal summers.

My summers can have extended periods (several weeks) with daily high temperatures above 100 degrees. For that reason all my nest boxes are ventilated. Most of the nest boxes are plastic pet carriers with doors removed and have Lots of ventilation. Some nest boxes are tall enclosed cat litter boxes with some ventilation, and i also use commercial type metal boxes with some ventilation. The metal boxes would be Much too hot during summers except they are completely shaded by a covered roof and overhanging shade trees. I find the plastic pet carriers to be the best option for my hot summers. They also serve as broody quarters while a hen is incubating.

I think you will need to ventilate your nest boxes if your summers are long and hot. I don't use 5 gallon buckets for nest boxes since they are too enclosed, but even buckets could work if you cut ventilation holes.

I've cut ventilation in a nest box before, and my current ones are somewhat similar to what 3KillerBs posted above, where the back is partially open (though in my case I ran out of material and saw no reason to close up the upper half of the back of the nest box) and allows a bit of airflow from the back of the box and up and out behind the lid/cover.

coop3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom