Ventilation in reno coop. Will this work?

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I was given a 4x8 raised gable style fully insulated coop with metal roof and aluminum sofit vents. On inspection the sofit vents do not communicate with coop's interior at all. The only ventilation is two 1 sq ft gable screens, clearly not enough. I took roof panels off and removed insulation bats. I cut 16-4 in holes thinking I would redo the sofits but started thinking of alternatives. There is about 4 in of space between interior plywood roof and perlings, so my thought was to cut the plywood at the peak down 6 in on each side for the 8ft length of the coop, add HWC and reattach roofing/ridge cap, but I am unsure if this will vent properly.
The gable peaks will be replaced with louvered vents which will face E-W (my prevailing wind is N, NW). Pics below. There was an electrical fire as you will see but the wood is only scorched, not thinned or structurally unsound. My reno plan will not include heat or unnatural light.
Will cutting the roof peak be adequate?
I appreciate any and all feedback

Attachments

• 20210919_185305.jpg
    20210919_185305.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210925_153043.jpg
    20210925_153043.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210925_153112.jpg
    20210925_153112.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 22
I was given a 4x8 raised gable style fully insulated coop with metal roof and aluminum sofit vents. On inspection the sofit vents do not communicate with coop's interior at all. The only ventilation is two 1 sq ft gable screens, clearly not enough. I took roof panels off and removed insulation bats. I cut 16-4 in holes thinking I would redo the sofits but started thinking of alternatives. There is about 4 in of space between interior plywood roof and perlings, so my thought was to cut the plywood at the peak down 6 in on each side for the 8ft length of the coop, add HWC and reattach roofing/ridge cap, but I am unsure if this will vent properly.
The gable peaks will be replaced with louvered vents which will face E-W (my prevailing wind is N, NW). Pics below. There was an electrical fire as you will see but the wood is only scorched, not thinned or structurally unsound. My reno plan will not include heat or unnatural light.
Will cutting the roof peak be adequate?
I appreciate any and all feedback

I see two good options.

First, just take the plywood out completely and leave the metal roof with it's soffit and ridge vents functioning as designed. (If the roof cap isn't a ridge vent then replace it with a ridge vent).

Second, since you're in a climate where condensation on a metal roof *might* be an issue, move the plywood up to just under the metal instead of having the gap -- again with soffit and ridge venting to function as designed.

I see two good options.

First, just take the plywood out completely and leave the metal roof with it's soffit and ridge vents functioning as designed. (If the roof cap isn't a ridge vent then replace it with a ridge vent).

Second, since you're in a climate where condensation on a metal roof *might* be an issue, move the plywood up to just under the metal instead of having the gap -- again with soffit and ridge venting to function as designed.
I have some leftover ridge vent so will look into integrating that.
Unfortunately the soffit is useless in function and serves as trim, essentially.
I plan to drop the floor to make coop a walk-in, relocate nest boxes lower and add a window to long empty wall.
DH offered to extend roof over the gable ends for an 16-18 in overhang. My guess is that will require soffit redo anyway.

@NorthwoodsChick, nice score! It's always great to repurpose cast off stuff.

Stop by the Michigan thread and say hello.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/michigan-thread-all-are-welcome.697050/page-5077
Yes, indeed but buyer beware..I did pay $350 for it. I bought it from a friends dad who said it was sound and showed pics. But after paying and picking it up I am finding more and more issues, not just a fire and lack of ventilation. There's a lot of rotting siding around the pop door and vent above it. I fear the insulation in the walls may have gotten wet...there is def something living in a wall as I can hear it. One roost box that I removed on a long wall has a spongy base and the framing/coop interface has evidence of rot . DH feels bad for me being dooped and wants to scrap this one. He offered to build me a new one like I originally wanted so I may use this as a potting shed.
What a soap opera this is becoming...Day's of our chicken lives.

Yes, indeed but buyer beware..I did pay $350 for it. I bought it from a friends dad who said it was sound and showed pics. But after paying and picking it up I am finding more and more issues, not just a fire and lack of ventilation. There's a lot of rotting siding around the pop door and vent above it. I fear the insulation in the walls may have gotten wet...there is def something living in a wall as I can hear it. One roost box that I removed on a long wall has a spongy base and the framing/coop interface has evidence of rot . DH feels bad for me being dooped and wants to scrap this one. He offered to build me a new one like I originally wanted so I may use this as a potting shed.
What a soap opera this is becoming...Day's of our chicken lives.

That's a shame that they weren't honest about the condition.

Can you return it for a refund?

That's a shame that they weren't honest about the condition.

Can you return it for a refund?
I probably could but it would be ackward...its an older couple, parents to a friend, and they were on the fence about selling. I don't believe they had ill intentions, really; he was clearly proud of his build. But, I should have gone to look before paying for it..that is all on me. It was a 3 hr drive, not unreasonable. I will make something of it.

Back
Top Bottom