Ventilation is the key not humidity!

Quote:
You must have really BIG feet if they are 21 square feet per foot!
wink.png

So now that we have figured out that he meant square inches...

I still don't get it
barnie.gif
I'll ask one of my kids to do the math for me
big_smile.png

Can people post the

size of your bator 4.75 cubic feet

number of holes three top three bottom (round)

size of holes (1 inch)

incubator humidity levels (45 RH)

hatcher humidity levels (or last 3 days in bator) (55rh)

Bator room humidity level (25rh)

hatch rates 80% home raised 20% shipped

approx altitude (5280)

Greathorse

Bator size 4.75 cubic feet. 3 one inch circular vent holes in top 3 one inch circular vent holes in bottom. Incubating humidity 35. Hatching humidity 58 to 59. Bator room humidity 50%. Hatch rate 95. altitude 1000 ft. Jamie821

Quote:
' "Must be the early morning "ehs??".'
Could be.
smile.png

I'm often burning past the midnight oil when I'm posting, too. Sometime I read my previous posts and cringe at the typos and whatnot.

I'd look at commercially made 'bators (such as LG, or whatever) of a similar size, and make vent holes about like those. Maybe a of couple extra ones, just little ones. Doesn't matter whether it's wood, styrofoam, or whatever, the need for ventilation would be the same. The fan inside the 'bator won't affect air pressure, it just keeps it mixed well so you don't have hot and cold spots, and the humdity throughout the box is more even than it would be w/o a fan.

I'm at sea level, or close to it, so this is more of a mental exercise for me, but I'd also be happy if something I came up with turned out to be helpful to others i adifferent situation.

If I were at a high altitude, and wanted to try increasing air pressure in a room, here's how I would do it:

Get a fan, such as a squirrel cage fan, and install in one window, in such a way the there is no open space around the frame of the fan. In other words, air would not be blowing right back out of the room around the fan, because the surrounding space would be blocked off. Like you do when you put in a window unit air conditioner, but with a fan instead of an AC unit. Keep the room closed. Don't open other windows. When the fan is running, the air pressure in the room would increase. The room would not be air-tight, (and you don't want it air tight, air must circulate) air would still flow out of the room as well, (through the crack around the door, if nothing else) but the exits would be smaller than the inlet, allowing pressure to build up, at least to some degree, owing to the force of the air entering the room from the fan.

Here's how you could test this to see if it was working: Take an empty jar, and a piece of plastic wrap, big enough to cover the mouth of the jar. Place the plastic wrap over the mouth of the jar, and use a strong, fat rubber band to secure it to the jar. The plastic wrap should be smoothed over the mouth of the jar, but not pulled tight. Look at the way the wrap is flat over the mouth of the jar. The air pressure inside the jar is the same as the air outside the jar. Take it into the room with the fan, close the door, turn on the fan. (Do not have the fan blowing directly onto the jar, just have the jar in the room.) Watch the plastic wrap on the jar. If the air pressure is increased in the room, the plastic wrap will become concave over the mouth of the jar, because the pressure in the room would be greater than the pressure in the jar. The air pressure would press the plastic wrap down into the jar.

This would probably not be enough to make a lot of difference to a person who has severe respiratory problems and requires O2. But it should increase available oxygen in the room, so that hatching eggs from other altitudes might have a better chance of hatching. I wouldn't advise it during very cold weather, but it could be a good thing to try out during milder seasons.

I worked in hospitals for years, and one of the thing hospitals have, for immuno-compromised patients, (such as chemo patients) is positive pressure rooms. They have filtered air pumped in at slightly higher than normal room-air pressure. This causes air to flow out in one direction only, so that airborne bacteria and contaminants cannot enter the room.

One of the labs I once worked in sometimes had a high air pressure system that would come on, to flush air out of the lab, (for what reason, I don't remember, it's been a long time, maybe it was just a periodic thing to flush out the old air and send in fresh, none of the windows could be opened) and when that system was on, it was harder to open and close doors into the corridors, because the air pressure in the corridors was so much higher than the other areas. I know it was just a high pressure fan ventilation system, but I don't know any details about how it was set up.

Quote:
I have a regular LG styrofoam 'bator, the top has 2 vent holes about the size of a pencil, but one has a little metal circle in it, so it's really only about half that size. Then it has 4 smaller holes, you can plug them with a q-tip. There are more holes in the bottom, but I can't see them now, with the turner in. I think there are 4 little ones. I have 3 of the corners propped up just very slightly, by a q-tip stick laid diagonally across each corner, so the the lid doesn't quite seat all the way.

My temp is steady at 99.5-99.8, humidity about 35%. I just added water yesterday, just a small votive candle glass with a little water in it, I added it when humidity started to drop to about 30%. I'll be increasing humidity to 55%-60% at day 18 through hatch. The 30th was day 10, I candled for the first time this batch. Out of 26 eggs, I found 3 clears, and one blood ring. 2 others I'm unsure of, I'll check them again in a week. They look developed, but maybe not as far as the others. These are larger eggs, though, maybe they just haven't evaporated as much, yet. We'll see. The air cells are clearly visible, but sort of cockeyed. I think they'll be fine, they may have been detached, or partially detached. But the biggest part of the air cell is in the big end, I'll mark all the air cells on day 18, and position the eggs accordingly for hatch. All in all, I'm very pleased, as these are shipped eggs.

I do need to find that post with pics of air cells at various stages, so I can compare. I didn't weigh them before setting them, so it wouldn't do much good to weigh them now. I'll just eyeball them.

Any idea where you would personally put holes in this one?

miwoods_incu6.jpg

Already has three holes in the front lower half, and two holes on the left and right side lower halves.

Back
Top Bottom