Ventilation question

So that the heat does not escape. When you place vents at the highest point, all the body heat escapes- fatal in a cold climate. As long as there are no drafts, it would work.
Ok. I just haven't heard of using lower vents except in warmer weather to allow a cool breeze. In my situation, I believe they would freeze their bums and feet if I provided lower vents. Though I do have windows and such to open in the summer time.
Now, an open woods coop would be awesome to have as well such as @JackE has!

Ok. I just haven't heard of using lower vents except in warmer weather to allow a cool breeze. In my situation, I believe they would freeze their bums and feet if I provided lower vents. Though I do have windows and such to open in the summer time.
Now, an open woods coop would be awesome to have as well such as @JackE has!
My reasoning is, out here in the cold north (I see you're in Indiana- that's nothing. We get -50F on the regular here.) ventilation up high causes all the body heat to escape. I suppose, more specifically, open (non insulative) ventilation that's up high lets the precious heat escape. Had I used furnace vents, eave vents, etc, where my current vents are (instead of hardware cloth), my coop would be a lot warmer. I stuff hay in my vents in winter so the heat doesn't escape but air exchange still happens.

I would never compare Canada to Indiana. Though we did dip down to -25F and we definitely don't have sustained temps of that nature. Thank goodness! Of course that is not our winter average. From what I gather on your posts, -50F is not average winter weather for your area either. I understand that different regions require different set ups and adjustments regarding animal care. So, just throwing this out there, the OP (who is in Missouri) may or may not need the low vents for winter depending on their set up and their region?

I would never compare Canada to Indiana. Though we did dip down to -25F and we definitely don't have sustained temps of that nature. Thank goodness! Of course that is not our winter average. From what I gather on your posts, -50F is not average winter weather for your area either. I understand that different regions require different set ups and adjustments regarding animal care. So, just throwing this out there, the OP (who is in Missouri) may or may not need the low vents for winter depending on their set up and their region?
Between -4 F and -50F is our average.
The OP may want to decide on a variety of vents. I am not familiar with Missouri winter temps, but winter is when ventilation is vital.

ventilation up high causes all the body heat to escape. I suppose, more specifically, open (non insulative) ventilation that's up high lets the precious heat escape.
That's one of the weirdest so far.
'Insulative venting' is a new one to me....a facetious oxymoron maybe?
You can't 'hold body heat' in a coop, SMH.

Some folks have used foam furnace filters to allow ventilation but dampen strong drafts/wind coming thru vents.

Most ventilation is up high, to let moist and ammonia laden air escape the coop.
Some vents down low can help move the air to the upper vents.

How to vent a coop depends on site, climate, coop configuration.
Much of it needs to be done by observing first hand the conditions of weather affecting coop, not adamant uninformed edicts typed out online.

Sounds like you have a gabled shed. You run ventilation under the eave both ends of coop and put vents in both gable tops. Air comes in the eave vents, mixes with moisture and ammonia along the roof line and is pushed out the gable vents. You may or may not need louvers on gable vents depending on how far out your soffits are. You don't want snow and rain getting in so louvers may be required. You don't close them up ever, this ventilation is needed year round and should not be restricted. Your window can be used in summer to cool it down. Hardware cloth over all openings. Weasels can get in a one inch opening.

Vents at the floor? I have not heard of this before. Just curious why would one do that?

I installed a floor level vent 2 years ago. The reason to do that is basic science: Warm air rises. The cool air enters at floor level. Then, as it rises through the coop, it picks up the moisture, and ammonia and carries it up through the coop where it exits out the roof level vents. The windows and soffit vents also draw air in, and that air moves up through the roof to exit the gable vents.

An understanding of how air currents work is necessary in order to have adequate venting in a coop or any building. Simply put, heat rises. Use that information to create a system that will remove the moisture and toxins from the coop.

My floor level vent is louvered. I recently closed it off with the sub zero temps, but to be honest, I really didn't close it off until we were almost completely through the sub-zero's! It has been helpful to park a bale of hay a few inches in front of it.

Sounds like you have a gabled shed. You run ventilation under the eave both ends of coop and put vents in both gable tops. Air comes in the eave vents, mixes with moisture and ammonia along the roof line and is pushed out the gable vents. You may or may not need louvers on gable vents depending on how far out your soffits are. You don't want snow and rain getting in so louvers may be required. You don't close them up ever, this ventilation is needed year round and should not be restricted. Your window can be used in summer to cool it down. Hardware cloth over all openings. Weasels can get in a one inch opening.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to my posts. I checked out some books at the library and have been reading constantly.
I think the roof type is gamble.
It was vents on the low sides, under the eaves. The turbine that is on the roof now really sucks out some air, but it seemed drafty in past. Maybe it is just too big. I’ll post a picture of my project.
Please don’t laugh. It is going to be rebuilt. It is sitting on concrete now. I hope once we rip off the boards we can get it raised for a wood floor. I’m still trying to sweet talk my husband into a new building but it isn’t happening anytime soon.
Missouri weather is beautiful springs, but can be very rainy. Hot summers, and beautiful fall time. Winters can be mild or very cold. (In the negative Fahrenheit).
Ok so here is my project. I need advice on moving forward. The roof is going to be reshingled but the boards are fine.
Everything else will be rebuilt. The frame is ok. The eaves on the side are only about 2 inches. They are really low too. We are going to build a side area on to recess nesting areas to save floor space. I want a portico or some type of overhang. There will be two runs to rotate the chickens on.

Attachments

• 873E10A3-13E8-427F-8750-05C5EBD4E764.jpeg
    873E10A3-13E8-427F-8750-05C5EBD4E764.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 52FD6D1C-10FA-4CBE-9B4E-1850E41BA59F.jpeg
    52FD6D1C-10FA-4CBE-9B4E-1850E41BA59F.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 8
  • A557D465-047C-456E-9DFD-AC378173426F.jpeg
    A557D465-047C-456E-9DFD-AC378173426F.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 7AECDA50-6C51-4A99-9B1B-7B10C1F9CCE0.jpeg
    7AECDA50-6C51-4A99-9B1B-7B10C1F9CCE0.jpeg