Ventilation question

Sounds like a good plan.
Don't forget large roof overhangs with fascia to help block the winter winds.
Could. You elaborate on the roof overhang a little? Good timing because I was going to build my roof today.

My plan is to attach my coop to an already existing greenhouse, the roof will be flush with the already existing roof. So I only am concerned about one side being exposed to the elements. Which will have a window because that’s where my cross breeze comes from.

Yikes!! Good think I’m only 4’10!!! Lol I’ll share my complete design when it’s finished. My plan is to make the “human door/nesting boxes attached. So when I open the door (when the chickens are in the run) I can clean the coop and the nesting boxes from the inside of my greenhouse. As well as an additional opening when I just want to collect the eggs. That part of the coop will be completely covered.

Could. You elaborate on the roof overhang a little? Good timing because I was going to build my roof today.
Here's one view, 12" roof overhang covered with 1/2"HC.
1652468770421.png

More pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

My plan is to attach my coop to an already existing greenhouse, the roof will be flush with the already existing roof. So I only am concerned about one side being exposed to the elements. Which will have a window because that’s where my cross breeze comes from.
It would help to see some pics of your build showing where it attaches to the GH,
and other wide views.

Here's one view, 12" roof overhang covered with 1/2"HC.
View attachment 3105787
More pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

It would help to see some pics of your build showing where it attaches to the GH,
and other wide views.
Hard to explain even with pictures but I hope this helps. So the coop roof will be weatherproofing plywood with corrugated roofing on top and attached flush to the existing roofing.

Currently the side of the coop when facing on the right will be completely covered, the human door and nesting boxes will be on that side (my plan is to attach the nesting boxes to the door so it opens and they all come out with it. That way, when I’m collecting eggs or cleaning the coop, rain shine, winter whatever, I’ll basically be inside my greenhouse) the back will be up against my house with about a foot away from the building, but the roof will extend to the back wall of my house (kinda like. 12” overhang, we’ve had the greenhouse for over a year and no water gets in) the front of the coop where the door for the chickens will be will lead out to a completely covered run. So only the left side will be “uncovered”

I’m a relatively novice at construction, so it’s not perfect but it’s strong and held up nicely for almost 2 years.

Attachments

• FE15A9D4-2BBA-448D-8AAD-33135C4408E4.jpeg
    FE15A9D4-2BBA-448D-8AAD-33135C4408E4.jpeg
    632.3 KB · Views: 2
  • BC406D79-66BC-47DD-8357-C9E58BA36C22.jpeg
    BC406D79-66BC-47DD-8357-C9E58BA36C22.jpeg
    666.5 KB · Views: 2
Hard to explain even with pictures but I hope this helps. So the coop roof will be weatherproofing plywood with corrugated roofing on top and attached flush to the existing roofing.

Currently the side of the coop when facing on the right will be completely covered, the human door and nesting boxes will be on that side (my plan is to attach the nesting boxes to the door so it opens and they all come out with it. That way, when I’m collecting eggs or cleaning the coop, rain shine, winter whatever, I’ll basically be inside my greenhouse) the back will be up against my house with about a foot away from the building, but the roof will extend to the back wall of my house (kinda like. 12” overhang, we’ve had the greenhouse for over a year and no water gets in) the front of the coop where the door for the chickens will be will lead out to a completely covered run. So only the left side will be “uncovered”

I’m a relatively novice at construction, so it’s not perfect but it’s strong and held up nicely for almost 2 years.
Also note, I have 5 chickens. I don’t have an incredibly large space so my actual coop is 4x5 and the run will be 9x7 with space underneath. They will also have supervised free range time, periodically.

Back
Top Bottom