Ventilation question

SammyJo425

Chirping
Apr 12, 2022
So my plan for my coop ventilation will be permanent 18 inches above the roost bar. On the two sides and back of the coop. I want to put in two pop windows below the permanent ventilation, for added cross breeze in the summer. I live in NY we have cold winters and hot summers. So the ability to adjust the ventilation is def something I want to be able to do. How far above the Roost bar should the pop windows be?

Attachments

• C314211F-77DD-42CF-AABC-7E60E78F12A5.jpeg
    C314211F-77DD-42CF-AABC-7E60E78F12A5.jpeg
    658.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 54AA233D-30BE-4125-9C6A-0D20D5E9F26C.jpeg
    54AA233D-30BE-4125-9C6A-0D20D5E9F26C.jpeg
    632.3 KB · Views: 11
  • A4B7750C-8844-45CC-8FFC-9EAD7C0BA566.jpeg
    A4B7750C-8844-45CC-8FFC-9EAD7C0BA566.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 11
I read that the ventilation should sit at least 18” above the roost bar. I have room to extend the height of my roof if I need to. I also read that in the summer, the more ventilation the better. So I would prefer to have a few windows I can close in the winter and open in the summer so my chickens aren’t suffering in the heat
Extra height in the coop is a good thing. It gives hot air somewhere to go, allows you to stand up (very helpful, just ask your back and the top of your head), and makes more room for ventilation.

Here in Michigan, we can get pretty cold too. I put furnace filter material over the bottom 6-8" of my big ventilation openings to cut down on the breeze that can blow through. I also put it over the areas that are around roost level, to cut out the wind. There is still air exchange, but no draft on the birds.

In mid-winter, the temp and humidity level in the coop is about the same as it is outside. That's how I know I'm not trapping moisture in there.

If you can put in top hinged windows, they can act as their own awning to stop wind and precipitation from coming in.

You feel that the permanent ventilation is insufficient? Dunno where the 18" measurement comes from, but that gap from the top of the walls to where the roof will be, looks like plenty of ventilation to me if it's on three sides.
I read that the ventilation should sit at least 18” above the roost bar. I have room to extend the height of my roof if I need to. I also read that in the summer, the more ventilation the better. So I would prefer to have a few windows I can close in the winter and open in the summer so my chickens aren’t suffering in the heat

I also read that in the summer, the more ventilation the better. So I would prefer to have a few windows I can close in the winter and open in the summer so my chickens aren’t suffering in the heat

Yes, this is good thinking.

People in areas with cold winters and hot summers need to make their coops flexible to cope with varying conditions.

A little gentle breeze across the roost in hot weather isn't a bad thing. What's to avoid is a breeze strong enough to ruffle the birds' feathers when they're on their roost.

So my plan for my coop ventilation will be permanent 18 inches above the roost bar. On the two sides and back of the coop. I want to put in two pop windows below the permanent ventilation, for added cross breeze in the summer. I live in NY we have cold winters and hot summers. So the ability to adjust the ventilation is def something I want to be able to do. How far above the Roost bar should the pop windows be?
Sounds like a good plan.
Don't forget large roof overhangs with fascia to help block the winter winds.

Hard to explain even with pictures but I hope this helps. So the coop roof will be weatherproofing plywood with corrugated roofing on top and attached flush to the existing roofing.

Currently the side of the coop when facing on the right will be completely covered, the human door and nesting boxes will be on that side (my plan is to attach the nesting boxes to the door so it opens and they all come out with it. That way, when I’m collecting eggs or cleaning the coop, rain shine, winter whatever, I’ll basically be inside my greenhouse) the back will be up against my house with about a foot away from the building, but the roof will extend to the back wall of my house (kinda like. 12” overhang, we’ve had the greenhouse for over a year and no water gets in) the front of the coop where the door for the chickens will be will lead out to a completely covered run. So only the left side will be “uncovered”

I’m a relatively novice at construction, so it’s not perfect but it’s strong and held up nicely for almost 2 years.
Also note, I have 5 chickens. I don’t have an incredibly large space so my actual coop is 4x5 and the run will be 9x7 with space underneath. They will also have supervised free range time, periodically.

Yikes!! Good think I’m only 4’10!!! Lol I’ll share my complete design when it’s finished. My plan is to make the “human door/nesting boxes attached. So when I open the door (when the chickens are in the run) I can clean the coop and the nesting boxes from the inside of my greenhouse. As well as an additional opening when I just want to collect the eggs. That part of the coop will be completely covered.

Could. You elaborate on the roof overhang a little? Good timing because I was going to build my roof today.
Here's one view, 12" roof overhang covered with 1/2"HC.
1652468770421.png

More pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

My plan is to attach my coop to an already existing greenhouse, the roof will be flush with the already existing roof. So I only am concerned about one side being exposed to the elements. Which will have a window because that’s where my cross breeze comes from.
It would help to see some pics of your build showing where it attaches to the GH,
and other wide views.

Back
Top Bottom