Ventilation

So I want to be sure I’m understanding correctly…cover the rafters in hardware cloth and leave open? The east side I’ll do the opening with hardware cloth for sure!

Also could I simply cover (with hardware cloth) the south and north open space at top of roof/rafters/eaves and NOT cut an opening in east wall? Or is the height of south wall (6’) the issue?

Thanks so so much!
Sorry to but in…just sharing our recent design…in northern FL…gets nasty hot in the summer but drops into the 20s in the winter. We left gaps between roof and T-111 for ventilation as well as eaves and covered w hardware cloth. Also used a regular wall vent and window for cross ventilation with an exhaust fan. So far the gals hang in the house when it hits 90 instead of under a tarp covered run😁

Attachments

• IMG_6307.jpeg
    IMG_6307.jpeg
    558.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6307.jpeg
    IMG_6307.jpeg
    566.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6464.jpeg
    IMG_6464.jpeg
    658.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6317.jpeg
    IMG_6317.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6317.jpeg
    IMG_6317.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6306.jpeg
    IMG_6306.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6339.jpeg
    IMG_6339.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6294.jpeg
    IMG_6294.jpeg
    827.2 KB · Views: 13
Sorry to but in…just sharing our recent design…in northern FL…gets nasty hot in the summer but drops into the 20s in the winter. We left gaps between roof and T-111 for ventilation as well as eaves and covered w hardware cloth. Also used a regular wall vent and window for cross ventilation with an exhaust fan. So far the gals hang in the house when it hits 90 instead of under a tarp covered run😁
Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for the pic. So helpful.
I did it! I had a bunch of hwc that I was repurposing for this project. I’ll put trim up to cover bottom edge…

I wonder though… can I simply do this to the opposite wall which is also open between rafters or is it too low (6’- 2’ lower than the front) and will cause a draft on chickens? I’d prefer to just have hwc on both north and south sides instead of cutting a hole in the east wall. What do you think?
Thanks again!

Attachments

• ECFF78AE-F15A-47A2-BBC2-C11B26C81E3F.jpeg
    ECFF78AE-F15A-47A2-BBC2-C11B26C81E3F.jpeg
    469.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I did it! I had a bunch of hwc that I was repurposing for this project. I’ll put trim up to cover bottom edge…

I wonder though… can I simply do this to the opposite wall which is also open between rafters or is it too low (6’- 2’ lower than the front) and will cause a draft on chickens? I’d prefer to just have hwc on both north and south sides instead of cutting a hole in the east wall. What do you think?
Thanks again!
Looks pretty good.
How is it attached?

You can put it on the other side, can always damper/baffle it for winter if needed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434/

Back
Top Bottom