Ventilation

Jane11

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2023
Springfield, Oh
I have 2 large windows in my 8x12’ shed/coop for summer ventilation. Would a handful of 2” holes in the top of two walls be sufficient for winter ventilation? I live in Ohio where we have cold (used to anyway) winters and hot/humid summers.

This article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/ addresses your exact question:

"What if I just use a hole-saw to put a buncha 2" holes in the walls and screen them, that'll be good, right?" Unfortunately, a 2" diameter hole is about 3 square inches of total area. To put this in perspective, a square foot is 144 square inches. You would need almost 50 holes to equal one square foot of ventilation, and a typical coop is going to need MUCH more than just one square foot of ventilation! So, no little round holes. You want actual decent-sized openings, like 6" x 4' or 1'x3' or like that, on most if not all of the walls.

Would a handful of 2” holes in the top of two walls be sufficient for winter ventilation?
Not likely.
Might depend on how big coop is and how many birds.
Dimensions and pics of coop, inside and out and all around, would help immensely here.

I live in Ohio
North or South?

Welcome to BYC! @Jane11
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1687784915732.png

I live in Springfield, Ohio.
The front of shed faces north, and the east is the side with other window that opens. The south two identical windows do not open, they are framed in, but will give plenty of southern light in winter. The mural is on the west wall.
The article I read from above (link) doesn’t illustrate a single pitch roof which is what I built. 8’ tall on north side, 6’ tall on south wall. I have two floor vents I considered using as the vents. Would that work? I already (without thinking) insulated and put plywood on whole west wall forgetting to add the vent. Can I put it in the north wall at top and east wall?
Also my roosts are natural branches and they will be around 3’ off the ground. I’m keeping them all about the same height as I’ve read that it helps avoid fighting.
I’ll have 116 sq ft of space and 32 chickens, 16 of which will be butchered 10-12 weeks in.

Attachments

• 757055E0-3B50-410A-BAAB-456BFAE9224E.jpeg
    757055E0-3B50-410A-BAAB-456BFAE9224E.jpeg
    705 KB · Views: 15
  • A333D881-845D-4506-83CE-A4A27D78527B.jpeg
    A333D881-845D-4506-83CE-A4A27D78527B.jpeg
    603.9 KB · Views: 14
  • C25B4B06-1425-4A92-B4B9-5A00E09F8254.jpeg
    C25B4B06-1425-4A92-B4B9-5A00E09F8254.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
If the eaves are open and covered with hardware cloth, that will help.
If not, can you do this?View attachment 3557915
I haven’t yet screwed in 2x6’s in between each rafter on front and back. So basically it’s completely open at top 6” high. Could I simply take my hardware cloth and staple that in all the way down the length at roofline and then put in my floor vent on east wall at top? That would make it so easy!

Last edited:
I haven’t yet screwed in 2x6’s in between each rafter on front and back. So I could simply take my hardware cloth and staple that in all the way down the length at roofline and then put in my floor vent on east wall at top? That would make it so easy!
I'd cover the rafters but scrap the floor vent and cut a hole and cover in hwc

If the eaves are open and covered with hardware cloth, that will help.
If not, can you do th
I'd cover the rafters but scrap the floor vent and cut a hole and cover in hwc
So I want to be sure I’m understanding correctly…cover the rafters in hardware cloth and leave open? The east side I’ll do the opening with hardware cloth for sure!

Also could I simply cover (with hardware cloth) the south and north open space at top of roof/rafters/eaves and NOT cut an opening in east wall? Or is the height of south wall (6’) the issue?

Thanks so so much!

Back
Top Bottom