ventilation suggestions

Welcome to BYC. Good of you to recognize the problem of having a coop too closed up.

All of those ventilation ideas are desirable -- but better to lower the top roost than to compromise the ventilation for it. You want to try to achieve about 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized bird or whatever it takes to get the temperature and humidity the same inside and outside. :)

I agree with Dobie in re: the problem of an unsupported overhang. But, since big overhangs are so desireable, you might consider adding support rather than trimming it.

The thing with the closure strips and weasels is that they are sometimes small enough to slip over the purlin and under the corrugation.

If you winterize the run with plastic sheets as so many people do -- leaving a generous gap at the top -- you could open the wall into the run substantially without introducing any drafts. :)
if i open up the 4 vents in front, along with the triangular vent over the door, and 3 vents along the back wall, that’ll give me 15sq ft open vents for 12 birds.

that should cover it, correct,

i can’t open that back wall much more. that’s where my nesting boxes are, along with the doors to access them.

since the birds aren’t laying yet, the boxes aren’t in there, so i leave the doors open for added ventilation right now.

i’ll definitely pick up some closure strips this week. thank you for the heads up.
Do you have a predator apron around the base of the run to stop digging predators?
For winterizing the run, I would cover the walls with either clear shower curtains or poly sheeting.
I made tarps for winterizing my run out of reinforced poly sheeting that snap on to hold in place until I can screw on vertical PT ripped in half deck boards to pin them down. They will be going into their third winter in a week or two so I don't have to buy new shower curtains every winter.
Tarps snapped on.jpg
winter run with tarps.jpg
Dust bathing in run.png

if i open up the 4 vents in front, along with the triangular vent over the door, and 3 vents along the back wall, that’ll give me 15sq ft open vents for 12 birds.

i can’t open that back wall much more. that’s where my nesting boxes are, along with the doors to access them.

since the birds aren’t laying yet, the boxes aren’t in there, so i leave the doors open for added ventilation right now.
That's fine for ventilation.

Do you have a predator apron around the base of the run to stop digging predators?
For winterizing the run, I would cover the walls with either clear shower curtains or poly sheeting.
I made tarps for winterizing my run out of reinforced poly sheeting that snap on to hold in place until I can screw on vertical PT ripped in half deck boards to pin them down. They will be going into their third winter in a week or two so I don't have to buy new shower curtains every winter.
View attachment 2876675View attachment 2876677View attachment 2876678
very cool. i’m assuming this stops cold winds from blowing through the run?

as far as digging predators, my hardware cloth is buried 30” down and then 12” out away from the coop. then it’s secured to the bottom boards of the run.

if something wants to go through all that trouble, well i guess they earned dinner at that point.

That sounds good.

It's clear that you've done your homework on chicken housing. :)

Back
Top Bottom