Ventilation vs draft height

Looking forward to the coop pictures, and some idea of the size of your birds. "Standard" chicken? Banties? "Big" breeds?

I like cross breezes. I like passive ventilation from under eave to under ridge. and when I can, I plan 2' above the roost bar, min (I have "standard" to "big" birds, and a little high is much less concerning than a little low). Not always practical. A measurement like that probably won't work for a raised coop, unless the coop itself is 8' shed height - in which case, build a coop shed. shed coop? Whatever. So... Pictures???

Last edited:
Pics will help, of course!

your climate is warm most of the year and your winters are mild (certainly according to the down coat wearing chickens).

so, where are your prevailing winds coming from? Especially during heavy storms? These things influence placement of ventilation and any covers you might need at certain times off the year.

for us, our roosts are ladder style, with top roost only a foot below the large ventilation opening. Our winters are much colder and intense than yours. Our coop is on the east side of the barn, so it is protected from the worst of the winter winds. We have a window facing East, but not by the roosts. It is almost floor level (but our coop is elevated, so not at ground level). We have a large ventilation openings across from each other on the north and south sides, up high/ above roost height. We also have open eaves on our single slant/shed style roof, so ventilation in those areas. Both large ventilation openings have 6ft of roof or more extending past them, so no rain or snow enters the upper ventilation. We do have solid covers for the openings, but find we only need the one up on the north side to block the winter winds, and it is only in place from late Dec through Feb.

This is a recent pic - when they roost, their heads and bodies are below the opening. There is. Matching ventilation on the other side. This pic is on the south side of the coop.
1C6252D8-CDFE-4377-83DE-4F40F9914B76.jpeg

If you have super hot summers, then ventilation at perch level is good.

In really cold winters, all ventilation on a single wall is good since in super cold you most definitely want zero breeze 8n the coop.

If you have a bit of both super hot and super cold, then a window at perch level that can open and shut is helpful.

I **think** that in NC you only have to worry about super hot.

So, vents above or below perch height for all year use. (So, no breeze at perch level. Imagine a string going from each vent to each other vent.)

And then one or 2 windows (that can open for hot summer, and close at cooler times) at perch height so a breeze is at perch level in the depths of your crazy heat summers.

It's like getting a sip of water from a fire hose. :gig

Show us your coop, inside and out.
This is where I’m at so far 🤦🏼‍♀️

I’m hoping to be done with it by the weekend of the 4th. Then there’s the run... BUT, I’m turning my daughters swingset into a mini run for them in the meantime since they love foraging under and around it every afternoon (more space than the brooder and it’s nice and shaded). They can hang out here for several hours during the day to cut back on their increasing sized poos in my house (the brooder is in the house).

Attachments

• 57B3C508-0824-45F3-B86B-F1837BA3A815.jpeg
    57B3C508-0824-45F3-B86B-F1837BA3A815.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    939.2 KB · Views: 6
Here in the VA mtns I have 4 openings (2 on either side directly across from each other) and open roof eaves. My roosting rods are set the height of a sleeping chicken (about 5-6") below these openings and a middle rod 3" above the sill of the openings in the middle behind the solid wall.
Since the rafters are open they also roost there as well. In the summer when its hot and humid, they roost on the rods. In the winter (avg highs/lows in the 30/20s so not terribly cold) they prefer the rafters presumably under the roof warmed from the sun.
On really cold nights (a few winter weeks it usually drops to below 0 and -10 or more with the windchill), some will sleep in the nesting boxes.

Here in the VA mtns I have 4 openings (2 on either side directly across from each other) and open roof eaves. My roosting rods are set the height of a sleeping chicken (about 5-6") below these openings and a middle rod 3" above the sill of the openings in the middle behind the solid wall.
Since the rafters are open they also roost there as well. In the summer when its hot and humid, they roost on the rods. In the winter (avg highs/lows in the 30/20s so not terribly cold) they prefer the rafters presumably under the roof warmed from the sun.
On really cold nights (a few winter weeks it usually drops to below 0 and -10 or more with the windchill), some will sleep in the nesting boxes.

A nice real-world example of how chickens adjust their behavior to their circumstances.

A nice real-world example of how chickens adjust their behavior to their circumstances.
I designed it not with any expertise on the matter but with only a basic understanding of air flow. I figured I'd give them as many options as I can and let them decide for themselves and in the process show me what they want/need. I could always adjust it later if needs be. Since it seems to be working, I guess I just got lucky with the set up.

Hi there! I know this is an older post, but I’m hoping someone can chime in with advice. Some of my chickens sleep in the eaves (the open space for ventilation at end of rafters, 10 ft long.) So they sleep on hardware cloth. They access the space via a 2x4 wall separating their coop from storage area inside the barn (the wall is the same height as the highest roost). They have two 10 foot roosts made of 3” logs; but no one sleeps on the lower one, just the higher one (approx. 5’ & 6.5’ off the floor). My question is will they know enough to not sleep in the eaves if it gets too cold? Or should I put up chicken wire to block their access? (Forcing them to use the lower roost bar?)

Back
Top Bottom