Ventilation

I have 30 birds, but have some young ones that will go in next month. By then I will have 40 birds in there. My heat lamps are on a controlled outlet that only turns on when it gets below freezing. Not for the birds but to help the water from freezing. A de-icer for their water might be an even better idea.

Here is a picture of the coop made of doors. There are three doors that open. One is the main entrance door. The other two are ventilation doors (can open but have wire fencing inside). The ventilation doors, one on the west & the other is on the east. All the rest of the doors are screwed in place.

I took the top piece of the camo siding off the top & that is where I was planning to add the ventilation. But now I am thinking of either splitting the ventilation door in half or taking the window out of the walk in door & replacing it with a window that will open.

Attachments

• DSCN2325.JPG
    DSCN2325.JPG
    611.7 KB · Views: 25
You have awesome options for up high ventilation!

It looks like you could possibly remove a piece of the camp siding and frame in an awning style window. That way rain stays out.
Putting wire on the inside of any vent you add of course.

That would put the vent very high and help keep drafts off the birds.

Having the chicken doors open and very high vents in the wall will immensely improve air flow.

Yep ventilations above will help tremendously, also poop boards under their perches will help on easy clean up to reduce smell. I scoop out the poop daily, takes less than 5 mins and I replace the floor beddings every 3-5 months.

Here is a picture of the coop made of doors. There are three doors that open. One is the main entrance door. The other two are ventilation doors (can open but have wire fencing inside). The ventilation doors, one on the west & the other is on the east. All the rest of the doors are screwed in place.

I took the top piece of the camo siding off the top & that is where I was planning to add the ventilation. But now I am thinking of either splitting the ventilation door in half or taking the window out of the walk in door & replacing it with a window that will open.
Pic from father back to see roof please?
And add your location to your profile.....climate makes a big difference.

Sorry I can't get more pictures. The back of the roof slopes down about 4" above the doors in the back. I'm in Michigan

Hi there, I can't find the right place to start a thread or post a question for some reason... Sorry to post this on an existing thread...

I have a 6'x7' coop that I built. We have 6 young Chickens and it's starting to get cold here in upstate NY. Right under 3 sides of the roof is a half inch vent that goes for 6 feet. Would that be enough? And should the vents be under the roof line but above the roosting bars? I was worried that all of the heat that they generate will go right out the tallest part of the coop.

Thanks!

Hi there, I can't find the right place to start a thread or post a question for some reason... Sorry to post this on an existing thread...

I have a 6'x7' coop that I built. We have 6 young Chickens and it's starting to get cold here in upstate NY. Right under 3 sides of the roof is a half inch vent that goes for 6 feet. Would that be enough? And should the vents be under the roof line but above the roosting bars? I was worried that all of the heat that they generate will go right out the tallest part of the coop.

Thanks!

Tagging @aart and @rjohns39 for help

Thanks!

Tagging @aart and @rjohns39 for help

I'll defer to others to do the math on ventilation space. I suspect its not enough. you do want the ventilation above them, not blowing on them. They exhale a lot of moisture and it needs to leave the coop.

Back
Top Bottom