Venting about being made to move out of my house -- UPDATE! GOOD NEWS!

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
So Friday, our landlady informs me that they are in a pickle and have to sell the house we're renting from them. They are being REALLY sweet about everything and trying hard to help us find something else through one of the property managers they use, but we just realized about six weeks ago that moving just isn't in the cards for us right now financially. We started digging in our heels, expanded our garden, dug it out, made rows, the whole nine yards... got a few more chickens, built a new brooder, started working on a different coop and completely re-doing the back yard.... only to find out they're selling the house and while I am welcome to plant a garden, we don't garden for FUN, we garden because we depend on that food. So not only are we losing our home but also a source of food that would have been preserved/canned and helped sustain us through the fall and winter months.

We're just really upset and sad and frustrated. Not mad at the landlords... we can stay until it sells & at first we thought we'd have to get rid of the chickens, but the landlady saw through my tears last night and said no, we can keep them & she'll help us find another rental that will let us still have them.

We have been wanting to move out into the country for a while now but are not in a position yet... won't be for another year or so. Apparently, however, we're moving anyway.

We're just frustrated & I just needed to blow off some steam.

Anybody in the northern/Central California area got a cheap rental available?

Last edited:
I'm on the opposite coast, but I'm so sorry this is happening to you two. I'll cross my fingers for good rental luck for you!
hugs.gif

I have been mostly in your shoes. I was a single mom with 4 kids and had lived in the house we had for 2 years. We had a beautiful garden spot which thank God we had not planted. Big difference was our landlord first said we could stay until he sold it then decided we needed to be out in one month so he could fix all the stuff they never fixed for us before they put it on the market. Good luck and prayers are with you.

Sorry to hear that.

But I've also heard that there are an awful lot of vacant rentals in that area, too.

As unpleasant as it is to make the leap, I think you'll have a lot of properties to select from.

I don't know if you'd consider it, but once when we moved, we just 'picked up our dirt and left' - We had raised beds - we shoveled them into the pickup truck and away we went. Most other times, we said, 'good bye, dirt'.

You know the saying "There is always someone worse off than you?"

We had 2 weeks to move when we found out our landlord had defaulted on the mortgage payments. We were blessed and found our current home in time, but that was very stressful.

If you want to come further south, we have a lot of nice rentals near us.

Quote:
Well, this will be "goodbye, dirt". There are 11 rows that are 12 feet in length. It's about 1/3 of the backyard.

I know it's just a rental, but this is our HOME. I know it's just the ghetto, but it's our HOME. It's where we rest at night and where we have meals, family gatherings, grow our food, and for me, this is also where I do my job. It just feels like being kicked in the gut to have it just ripped out from us like this without a choice on our part.

Back
Top Bottom