Venting Here (not meant to be click bait)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Keeperoflock, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Keeperoflock

Keeperoflock Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Central Indiana
    First off, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place. I just wasn't sure where to put it. Right now, I'm so frustrated..:barnie Someone please tell me how we're supposed to build a chicken coop when all it's been doing is raining (over 3 in. just this morning). 10 in. snow last weekend. Rain the weekend before that. We're getting more rain this weekend with it turning to snow AGAIN. I've got rain running down the front of my fireplace and into the insert in the living room. It's storming like mad and we've got a strong possibility of hail, flooding and tornadoes tonight.
    We lose electricity easily as we are the last house on the grid. If we lose power, I can't even use the fireplace for heat so what in the heck do I do to keep my 17 chicks warm? They are 4 weeks old today. Will they be in danger at this point? The brooder is between 75 and 80 now. Sorry for the rant but this weather is driving me NUTS!

Rubysword likes this.
  2. Hufflefluff

Hufflefluff Songster

Apr 28, 2015
    Northeast CO
    If you have 17 at a month old, losing the heat shouldn't hurt them too much. I'd consider providing some sort of huddle box or maybe a wool hen where they can huddle to share body heat, but as long as they're all together they should do okay. Consider weaning them off heat a little faster now, so that losing heat suddenly won't be as much as a problem for them. Is all of the brooder a steady temperature, or are there hot and cool areas? If there aren't, consider expanding it and moving the light so that there's a definite cooler side. Being a little chillier will also stimulate feather growth, so long as you don't let them get too cold.

I'm so sorry about the weather; that's so irritating! I hope it clears up soon. Spring, right?

Keeperoflock, nerfworthy and N F C like this.
  3. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Sorry for all the bad weather, it sure can put a stall on projects.

You might try asking the members over on the IN state thread what they would suggest as far as how to deal with the rain:
    Indiana

Best of luck to you!

4. Keeperoflock

Keeperoflock Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Central Indiana
    They are in a big metal cabinet turned on its back. We expanded it again last night to give more room. They have both a warm and cool area. A huddle box might be a good idea. I'll try to come up with that. Thanks!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Mother Nature sure can remind us humans who is boss. All of here have suffered similar trials and tribulations. We work it out and learn as much as we can. Occasionally we have a good scream but keep on keeping on.

True Patriot and N F C like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: