Venting - I feel like an awful dog mom

Nuggetirl

Songster
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Oklahoma
My husband and I rescued a rambunctious terrier September of last year. We love him even though he really is a terror. If he gets out he just runs down the street right ahead of you and never turns around. He tears everything up. He digs and barks. But, he's literally the friendliest dog we have. The other two are much less outgoing, one was abused, and one is just sensitive (had her since she was a puppy, not sure what went wrong.)

ANYWAYS. He has what I call 'rescue nails'. They were seriously overgrown and I couldn't seem to make a dent. Online everything says 'oh you can shorten the quick, just get really close and it will recede' well, that didn't seem to be happening, (and I also read at some trusted sources that you can't get the quick to recede that much when they are so overgrown). I've been working on them and while they haven't gotten longer, his back feet seemed to start bothering him. If we went on long walks, he'd chew on his feet after. Seemed like the nails were bending uncomfortably because they were so long.

So, I had him sedated and we quicked his nails back pretty far so we could just start over. We did that on Friday. Now it's Tuesday and he's just miserable. Our high energy terror now just wants to lay at our feet and lick his paws. He just stares at us when we open his crate where he used to come tearing out with his tail wagging and pouncing on the other dog. We give him his pain meds, but they don't seem to completely make the pain disappear. We haven't had any bleeding so that's good, but we had to cancel his doggy daycare stay this weekend and he's going to have to stay with my parents (my dad is my vet, so at least that part is good) while I go to a wedding this weekend.

I just feel like I did the wrong thing. I would never purposefully quick an awake dog because of the pain, but I thought that worst pain was the actual cutting off the nails. I've had other vets suggest it. Now, he's miserable and I feel just awful. I really thought I was doing the right thing, but now I don't know. I can't go back and not do it, but I can't help him anymore than giving him the pain meds now either.

(side note, I have always intended for this to be a one time thing, get them short so we can keep up with them. Obviously now, that is of even greater importance to me.)

I think that you have to measure a lifetime of discomfort against several days of discomfort. If his nails were so long that going on a walk was uncomfortable, you had to do something. Neglect prior to your getting him was the problem - you chose to rectify the problem. This is why I religiously trim my dogs toe nails.

Thanks. That's what my husband keeps telling me, but I miss my rambunctious boy.

And the other dogs get their nails trimmed and grinded (ground?) every weekend. I hope he can get on the same schedule as soon as he heals.

We have a lab that hates having her nails cut. Sadly, she's inherited her mother's genes, so they grow super fast, unless we walk a lot on rough surfaces, we really should trim them almost twice a week. We've cut her nails super short a couple of times when she's needed anesthesia for other reasons, and they do bleed a fair bit for a few days, but in a week she has been normal. Might take a few days longer with slower growing nails, but your dog will be fine. If he's making a huge mess and having trouble walking, you could wrap the paws in gauze and put on a sock secured with some Coban. Just don't wrap them too tight. Some Coban wrapped around the foot gives better grip if that's an issue.

He actually hasn't been making a mess, but I may put socks on him so he'll leave his feet alone. That's a good idea.

It's better you did this. My lab ripped out a toenail while running after a ball in the yard. I had gotten lax about keeping her nails trimmed, and she literally ripped the entire nail out. If you think hitting the quick is bad - let me tell you, it's nothing compared to ripping the entire nail out at the roots.

Two years later, over a dozen vet trips, 1 emergency hospital visit, countless rounds of antibiotics & pain meds, repainting the walls TWICE from blood spraying out of her toe, a bloody/bandaged foot for TWO years - the vet finally amputated the toe. There was a tiny sliver of bone that had broken off when she first injured it, which is why it would start to heal, then break back open again. That, and my vet was an incompetent hack and I stupidly trusted her when she kept saying, "these things just take time."

So my poor baby spent two years of her life miserable, limping around in chronic pain, unable to do ANYTHING she loved (like chase a ball) - all because I didn't keep her nails trimmed. No matter how miserable your pup is at the moment, preventive care is ALWAYS better than chronic pain resulting from an injury that COULD have been prevented.

Trust me - you did the right thing.

Sounds like you definitely did the right thing and it was very kind of you to have him sedated for the procedure! He will be back to normal soon. It probably feels a bit like losing a fingernail and will take some time for him to get used to. Little booties are a good idea and keep up with the pain meds. I agree with sour land that a few days of discomfort are nothing compared to a more comfortable life!

You definitely did the right thing! Don't worry about it! Coban or gauze would be a good idea! You can go to the local dollar store or walmart and buy baby socks, and then if they are still too big, you can take paper tape and loosely make it fit better. Give him a week or so and he should be fine. He's in pain and probably pouting right now... Our vet used to hold our dogs down on the table and cut it WAY TOO short. (To the quick) And they would say we couldn't come back with them. I YELLED at them. If my dog is screaming and I can see you holding my dog down and forcing them to do it, sending one of them into a seizure, and you don't let me go back and help, I'm not bringing them back. FOR SURE. They said it was so we wouldn't sue if we got bit or something, but why is the world would we sue if MY dog bit ME? It was so stupid. We take them to Petsmart now. Our dogs LOVE the girls that work there, and one holds them, while another talks to them and clips them super fast, and then gives them kisses and cuddles and a treat! They are the best there! I'm NEVER taking them to the vet to get their nails done EVER AGAIN! We have to take one of our girls later to get her nails clipped because her's grow SO fast! Peaches' nails need to be done about every three months, they're very slow, but Ginger's nails grew out in a month, I realized she was walking funny last couple of days, so I looked and saw they were touching her pads already! I'm shocked! Oh well, simple fix. Good luck with the little guy!

You definitely did the right thing! Don't worry about it! Coban or gauze would be a good idea! You can go to the local dollar store or walmart and buy baby socks, and then if they are still too big, you can take paper tape and loosely make it fit better. Give him a week or so and he should be fine. He's in pain and probably pouting right now... Our vet used to hold our dogs down on the table and cut it WAY TOO short. (To the quick) And they would say we couldn't come back with them. I YELLED at them. If my dog is screaming and I can see you holding my dog down and forcing them to do it, sending one of them into a seizure, and you don't let me go back and help, I'm not bringing them back. FOR SURE. They said it was so we wouldn't sue if we got bit or something, but why is the world would we sue if MY dog bit ME? It was so stupid. We take them to Petsmart now. Our dogs LOVE the girls that work there, and one holds them, while another talks to them and clips them super fast, and then gives them kisses and cuddles and a treat! They are the best there! I'm NEVER taking them to the vet to get their nails done EVER AGAIN! We have to take one of our girls later to get her nails clipped because her's grow SO fast! Peaches' nails need to be done about every three months, they're very slow, but Ginger's nails grew out in a month, I realized she was walking funny last couple of days, so I looked and saw they were touching her pads already! I'm shocked! Oh well, simple fix. Good luck with the little guy!
I recommend cutting at home weekly, and increasing walks on rough surfaces like asphalt. No point paying someone to do basic home maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom