1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Venus the (now) lame duck Is there a way to make her less attractive?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LadyIsadora, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    In lieu of a vet and in any case - keep up with the hydrotherapy - the mild warmth and exercise may help with the swelling. Good to use Epsom salt compresses. And T-Relief or similar.

A little massage from the foot toward the belly if she and you can stand it may also help.

There is an anti inflammatory called Rimadyl to consider - may need a vet prescription, I am not sure.

Vitamins with electrolytes twice a week, I would try that, to, just for healing support.

How are her spirits?

2. LadyIsadora

LadyIsadora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    [​IMG][​IMG] this is my poor baby today. Thanks for all your help and advice and encouragmnt

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That doesn't look so good. being a Jumbo Pekin they really are carrying around alot of weight on those legs and feet. It may take longer for her to heal. Asked before is a vet feasible? Could be infection in there or just a bad sprain hard to say,.. as for antibiotics lets ask @casportpony what she thinks would be the best if you go that route.

4. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    I agree, that looks pretty bad. Are there sores on the bottom of the foot? Are we seeing bumbles that are so bad they are swelling through the foot? Is it still warm to the touch? I agree that you may need antibiotics. Poor little thing. is she able to walk on it at all, or is she mostly laying down?

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get her on antibiotics right away - something that can get into extremities - @casportpony does Duramycin do that? I apologize, I think I have asked before, and there's a bit of static in the attic these days.

She also could use an anti-inflammatory. I am not a vet, I am not a medicine expert, so I don't know about drug interactions. hennible's vet said a while ago that Advil was okay for ducks. Here are my notes from that post -
    For ducks 6-8 lbs 25-40mg twice daily adult tablets cut up or children's liquid Advil 1.5ml twice daily, orally.

Amiga’s arithmetic – 8 pounds 40 mg is 5 mg per pound
    6 pounds 25 mg, is just over 4 mg per pound

so, 4 to 5 mg per pound of duck
    ……..

I would have her off the leg as much as possible - a lukewarm tub of water would probably help - now there's a two-edged sword - while we don't want the infection spreading into her bloodstream, I think improved circulation would help her fight the infection. Hmmmm….. another reason to get her on oral or injectable antibiotics right away - my guess is it's already spreading. Not to scare you, just to give you a heads up so you can do something about it.

If you are handy you may be able to fashion a sling (open in the back so she can defecate without problems).

Duramycin is sold by feed stores - call ahead. And we don't know if this thing is resistant to certain antibiotics. Without a lab, we cannot do a sensitivity test. We can only try something and if it doesn't seem to work, try something else.

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @casportpony where are you? we need advise on what antibiotic is best for this Pekins foot.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would start her on Duramycin, actually - if we hear differently in a few days, then maybe it can be switched.

Here is what Jera learned at her vet visit for a similar situation:

They said she had a bacterial infection in her joints. They said put her in deep water (pond). They gave us Metacam (10 mL) an to give her .10 of it daily until it's gone. Also Baytril 20, and one pill a day for 10 days. They said to let her swim all day and to give her breaks throughout the day to sit in the grass. Should see improvements within 2 weeks.

8. LadyIsadora

LadyIsadora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Im taking notes and trying my best. she does have some hard callous like spots on the bottom of her foot but it doesnt look bad really. Im dousing the whole foot with peroxide & Neosporin after her compress and soak just in case its a bumble type issue.
    She sits around all day unless I put her in the warm tub. I locked up the drakes & leave her in her kennel with the door open. She did go out to the middle of the lawn & sit there under the tree visiting with her friends for a bit after her morning treatment yesterday. But then I have to chase her down to treat her or put her away for the night...not that she hops away very fast, but I think it hurts her.
    I am sorry I havent replied all weekend. I Got unexpected company. Vet is not an option for various reasons. Headed to the feed store for meds now. The swelling is no better. It is hard to tend a duck when company is in the house ;-) Im coming down with a nasty summer cold myself so this is getting more unpleasant by the day.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get clear iodine for treating the foot - a few drops in the middle of the swelling right after soaks. Then for the next few days, use the neosporin (without pain relief). I would get her started on oral antibiotics right away.

Perhaps someone knows if Advil (ibuprofen) is okay to give while the duck is on antibiotics.

10. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Amiga definitely knows waaayyy more than I do and I'm chiming in late but I wanted to suggest you also put her in a very small pen with a kiddie pool or something for her to swim in. Keep her confined for the two weeks or however long you can. In the very small pen, give her room just for the pool, food and one resting/landing spot with a pillow or something very soft. I think the confinement and keeping her off the foot is very important. Especially if you can't get her to a Vet or antibiotics for her. Good luck and I wish her a speedy recovery[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by