Vermont Chicken Coop Build Log

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MadChickensVT, Sep 17, 2011.

1. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    I finally started building our coop today after many, many hours of research.

Over the last week I've made a clearing on the edge of our lawn. The coop will face southwest. I brought some lumber over to figure out exactly where the coop should go. I realized that one of the stumps was in the way, and even if I cut it low it wouldn't be right. I tried digging it out, but soon realized that it was going to take a very long time, especially with all the rocks. I decided to get it out the old fashioned way - burn it.
    [​IMG]
    When I wasn't tending the fire I cut some of the lumber to length. I ended up having to keep the fire going until past dark, so I wasn't able to get as much done today as I had hoped, but at least I stayed busy. I'll be back at it in the morning.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Looks like a great spot.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Well well well, that is a good start and we are so waiting to follow your project so please keep on posting pictures and good luck and have all the fun you can while you are building your new chickens coop, because as I say it is more fun building chicken coops than having the chickens [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. trailrider20

trailrider20 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    That looks like a nice spot. It is so green.

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

There is no digging at my home either. All rock and gravel. We live at the foothills of the Heldeberg Hills and boy there are more rocks than soil! Good luck on your build!

6. michelleshenhouse

michelleshenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Slidell, La
    [​IMG] love the location!

7. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, that TOTALLY figures that you have the location and then spend all day--not building, but prepping the area. That would be something that would happen to me. ha! Love all those woods, looks like a nice shady spot the birds will enjoy. [​IMG]

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I grew up in West Central. The hills of Huntington actually.

9. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    What a beautiful location! I bet they'll love it there.

10. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by