I wasn't able to work on the coop last weekend because we had to get ready for our first Halloween party on Saturday. Sunday was spent moving boxes out of the barn to make room for 3 1/2 cords of firewood and resting from a very very busy week.
I took this Friday afternoon off and got the south-west roof done. Then Saturday I got in a half day and got some sheathing on the front corners and finished the hardware cloth. My father-in-law helped me with the hardware cloth on the back. It went a LOT faster with help.
Except for a door the coop could now hold chickens
Wow - that looks fantastic! How difficult was that roofing to install? It looks as though you've got 1X2s on 2X4s - does the roofing need that much wood for support? Really nice bird mouths, BTW - I had a lot of trouble with mine and decided that roof framers are worth their weight in gold
The steel roofing was super easy to put on. Much much much easier than shingles, and the same price per square foot. However if the roof wasn't square it could get tricky.
I put temporary jigs attached to the rafters to hold the bottom edge of the roofing. It made it really easy to get things positioned properly by myself.
The "purlins" are 2x4s, flush with the 2x6 rafters. There's also 1/2" hardware cloth and tar paper under most of the roofing. It doesn't usually need nearly that much support. I have some big pine trees nearby that I'm worried about branches falling from.
Thanks for the compliment on the framing. This was my first time cutting rafters although I did carpentry for about 3 years.