Vermont

Pics
I've been doing a lot of reading, and it seems Buff Orpingtons are good beginner chickens, and would work out well in our climate. And Wyandottes are so pretty!

If you're looking for a good, docile, cold hardy breed, you can't go wrong with brahmas, either. Bonus is that they have a pea comb, so frostbite is basically a non-issue with them, which is very nice in our climate.

If you're looking for a good, docile, cold hardy breed, you can't go wrong with brahmas, either. Bonus is that they have a pea comb, so frostbite is basically a non-issue with them, which is very nice in our climate.

Yes, the combs! So many variables! Are they readily available?

I keep having a double-take with your screen name. Are you a nurse?
and . . . whereabouts in VT?

Yes, the combs! So many variables! Are they readily available?

I keep having a double-take with your screen name. Are you a nurse?
and . . . whereabouts in VT?

You can get brahmas from any of the big hatcheries, and there are some local breeders too if you want something closer to the Standard for the breed, as well. I breed light brahmas :)

Not a nurse :) My username is a constellation. I'm over in Rutland County.

Single comb pullet/hens do fine in Vermont as long as you don't have the extreme combs like the Spanish and Italian breeds have, think Leghorn. Cockbirds have the large comb like a Mediterranean Class hen and what happens is you'll lose the tips of comb due to frost. I don't even believe it's frost, rather extreme cold.

Well ventilated non heated coop is the way to go. I keep two varieties of Plymouth Rock. Only the cocks get a touch of frost and lose tip of comb points. The American Class hens with single combs don't have any issues.

I live in Orleans County, 20 miles from the border.

You can get brahmas from any of the big hatcheries, and there are some local breeders too if you want something closer to the Standard for the breed, as well. I breed light brahmas :)

Not a nurse :) My username is a constellation. I'm over in Rutland County.

Maybe I’ll be in touch about the Brahmas! I’m in Windsor County.

Hospital nurses had a system for tracking medications. I don’t know how it was spelled, but it was pronounced Pyxis. Now, of course, it’s all computerized.

I live in Orleans County, 20 miles from the border.

Hello Egghead!

Orleans County, brrr! Thanks for the advice!

I want to get “beginner” chickens, cold-hardy. I’m interested in heritage breeds, but I think it would be smart to start with beginners - someone recommended Orpington. I’m a little wary of chicks in the mail, Tractor Supply, and the like, although it seems that’s how many people do it. I know I wouldn’t buy a new puppy at a big box store... not fully opposed to the mail or big-box approach, but wary.

There are a few breeders of poultry in Vermont. Many places to get backyard mixed flock chicks too. Orpington to me are the English attempt to make a Plymouth Rock. And Plymouth was one of the founding birds for Orpington. You can't go wrong with them, I'm more of a traditionalist. All the American Class breeds are cold hardy. If you want better layers than go with hatchery birds, they will resemble the breed and lay like machines.

Local farm store like Agway will tack on an order if you talk to the manager before they get in their chicks. So if Silver or Gold Laced Wyandotte are on your mind or the typical Barred Pylmouth Rock or even non American Class Orpingtons. Not to bash a store but TSC is notorious for not knowing what they have, mislabeling and mixing chicks in bins. Stick with Sex Links if you purchase there, guaranteed pullets. Red sexlinks are red as chicks and black sex links don't have the white spot on head.

Maybe I’ll be in touch about the Brahmas! I’m in Windsor County.

Hospital nurses had a system for tracking medications. I don’t know how it was spelled, but it was pronounced Pyxis. Now, of course, it’s all computerized.

They're a good breed choice, I think, but I'm probably a little biased, lol. My first ever chicks were two hatchery brahmas I purchased from a feed store. They were the sweetest, friendliest birds ever and totally won me over.

Now I breed the 'real deal' ones that are bred to the Standard of Perfection, and while they still have the same amazing personalities, they are much bigger, and, I think, more beautiful than the ones that come from hatcheries.

More info on the breed, in case you are interested:

They are accepted in three colors, dark, light, and buff, though they come in many other colors too. I personally have lights, and I'm working on a color project with them as well. They are one of the oldest accepted breeds, having been accepted in the first ever American Standard of Perfection in 1874.

Despite being in the Asiatic class, the breed as we know it today was created in America, from some large birds that were imported from Asia.

The hens are excellent mothers. Because of their size, they are also a great choice for a dual purpose breed - one that works for both eggs and meat. They are, of course, also very cold hardy. In fact, it used to be known popularly as "the least susceptible chicken to cold and exposure".

The Livestock Conservancy has a decent write-up on them:

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/brahma

Hello from Grand Isle County. This is our first winter with our five pullets. We have two Golden Buffs, one Barred Plymouth Rock, one White Rock, one Australorp. All are doing well this winter, we do not heat our coop and have it well ventilated. The coop/run have several predator proofing measures to keep them safe.
I agree with #Egghead_Jr, at TSC you will not know what you are getting, breed or sex.
We are new to chickens as of May, we did decide to order through MyPetChicken.com. While I was very nervous having the chicks shipped, they ended up being hand delivered to our door on the day we were expecting them. They were all in very good health.
One tip: Make sure the coop is ready to go before the chicks arrive - they grow very fast.
Anne, welcome to BYC !! Enjoy the process and your little ones when they arrive.
Best,
Joy

I'd love to see everyone's birds, if you all feel like sharing pictures :) Here are some of mine:

shamrock 2 edit.jpeg

dpPnB9MZbtzEp40E6DKjJi84o-7qIWEjRMLIKm5p575RCfIp-eKUA3b6QEbLhl6TuGso4SpqHRBsPSZVkmcXRSt8SMlv8Vi9PN-8i-FdE_SDWuKB5J_gLjDWgfV_-k6Q2wBVFNzss0iqRyMpGTveyj7nUxpWbWKZ_KaLq9MRe84z0FoLAvQ9l74n_BF8F9nX4vcHofRHWHW7zt-0d7aSTSYeI9OD9mJBM6ebG1LQ7GMbS9Y2gfIAlpu0ujLq6zYHo2aWNIQelQ6QHFrNJ7F7nM9M6x3ogxZjdD4n59kk8XdaqvdF1ksighAKz1lZykbvfmlDGULLtHmEMXkV9Zb3gDybiMDnx7Vog3wlE1gzS8XYImPSxuPkEGGM51aci40rpBUpkE5XpKRxCGZXQP1_D_TvNfXqkU81yYncwgxr4JJhiKt5Ug6wFzzZVK3sHCH296ILsyW2nlEYlfqH2ncv769Du1Ei1d7psE02eSFDl2vffgVhX-IEHKy6eDnl6cd24RI21Xzbb8Y32JGUwoUPhZ6ZUTrLbyeeaBkqI1IVHcNTq8Cf97L9xsOxA-UhQtmy73lw6WjBzbq1wedSV--5_R2vJfFG7hvNR5gwkIdoeGnosaeWaADXjFTdZb1PVTEvJujV0hBSgQLHLwiX_0M5BwmRkiDI5Qs=w894-h657-no

2gPnEQrX__mGYo10Yt0GwyvneJEFknx80YgV8Gr1Uo5gIw8H7j0OeHLUVHC5oVtgfbGmdBjiTl1h032PrN-WHji5klqQKhuAM6WStqCOCnX3tjqlvOIov_QeoUgVGR4KvhkvgNQCuN7cy6Ns2B2m4tPxONk3lRWso9NI-kpp1Dgn2tGAfQwTTYn8CHvDihDTjNGK6ewvqWSBbShbV3JKqCanHFFUCBmrA1toce0E8NDdeRjXkkBjgLbGwrni3uLoNYBDNQjlVwGXVlQr-5t7A11khntmm1Ck2Co8D943-44BpmP2DU7JmYd5DdOiHUw1BY4shrW1ghlq7R1O6WD2pYNyWlPQPh-vkNTxN3LpweXzcL_tSnqln0rp_e7GMM0UvFUYk1tFdGce3IMysb8LL3sq8FG-M7HqgeW_O2k35C7NYdKNbHghKTcMwZyPLizUbqXGe5381qdnkTd98xQAA_mPMRbb6xw_kJwCX4nJ7-gbSJYkj0OUSJ9kvoRLcPUdPVIIbjGpInif-lrn17XpQAXe8-8F166PP_Ku8aAcg6jjjjANcXgP_HN0yiVC5Bq38wqElYHxts611ngcVGtr7dmKW9ik26hh1VgQwrmcOiCdco4KWu14hOvQYrTiuJScYBlpwYIzYU5RQiIakPZZqykn2VwWsXc=w986-h657-no

KKBsoeejdCLKRdJtvvUMgmmfrYw6yAVTY5HTvKPFFbexc3P_EfeVRD9UJPLtavLIQ4BqWAhCBaPjLTvEFH5gKSFIxNtygPalE0-qPD3qqiRZOVE6rwFMMDrNATUocFhXhXYoBJSNmS5emjVv9cbD_IDsYjEZSLEiX42DOLRHGlCJQ4NOSKrTXg74uygZidXvu6CuX1ZNimN67mh5BCYXr4yPb8cTtU4joG8GOWm3EMiCPBzR8Gi3jnHNj-l2lkBxDVOxqJRxUR607945asPg5Q-NR1eJuVA-SA30cN70ImMzmGqAYhev4u2xvzODSJC39GZsVDpqOsauz_lhVpc71L-GU5BWAtdbK-foDlWj14DtRV__DGXoR1-ZD_F-APOnRIYx20obz7L-et1XhuZQFNktQM150G0jNyaYiaXR0w76pMhiyb1odY7-B5M74XSuqgent7oEzWmxGF2l4uCyJScIbFTS56aBX-taOkoSEKJNe6ltF6ybwLsDP_uO_wP04YcwJz8WrUK7WPNSMvcQ6ccD1BIbsAf8QCBumRBRbsqklcJb2t5B7LdCmKeHIM6Lrivyi_skEboBg_swQU0rcyZ3DZmWYj_oiDs_s60lc_7Y9bY8-aBqxscY1DiR0F4iVhNP4hq2__MCMo5A3ryCus0wHef9it4=w986-h657-no

Back
Top Bottom