Vermont

Pics
Yeah, I'm not crazy about JCS coops, either, but you're right about the shell. Probably sturdier than the ones from Costco. I'm going to go my best to pester my carpenter to get it done as soon as the snow melts.

So, totally unrelated to the topic of coops and sheds...

I walked into my local TSC to buy feed, and walked out with a cross-beaked Silverlaced Wyandotte. I don't think she's going to make it - she's very skinny - but I couldn't leave her to die in the back room. (I just lost my favorite Silkie rooster to a tumor so I'm super sensitive right now.)

54132977_782053218494_2673654623939592192_n.jpg

So sweet-looking! Good luck to you and her!

I’ve heard several people saying they walked into TSC “just to get feed” and came out with ducklings, chicks, and other impulse buys. I’m avoiding TSC with great self-restraint. #don’twantadivorce

Yeah, I'm not crazy about JCS coops, either, but you're right about the shell. Probably sturdier than the ones from Costco. I'm going to go my best to pester my carpenter to get it done as soon as the snow melts.

So, totally unrelated to the topic of coops and sheds...

I walked into my local TSC to buy feed, and walked out with a cross-beaked Silverlaced Wyandotte. I don't think she's going to make it - she's very skinny - but I couldn't leave her to die in the back room. (I just lost my favorite Silkie rooster to a tumor so I'm super sensitive right now.)

View attachment 1703094

Poor little thing - would you be comfortable tube feeding her if she's having trouble eating on her own? It's not hard, very safe when done correctly, and I could teach you :)

I would appreciate it so much if you taught me how to tube feed. I've avoided it because there's a lot of incorrect methods and poor instruction out there. In the past when I've had sick chickens, I've made a super thin mash and droppered at the front of their beaks. They usually did the rest. .

She's definitely struggling to eat. She gets a little something maybe every fourth or fifth peck. It's been a long time since I've had chicks, but her keel is pretty prominent and that makes me nervous.

Here's a better photo of her beak. It's pretty extensive and will likely get worse as she gets older.

54519490_782084301204_4112218048167936000_n.jpg

I would appreciate it so much if you taught me how to tube feed. I've avoided it because there's a lot of incorrect methods and poor instruction out there. In the past when I've had sick chickens, I've made a super thin mash and droppered at the front of their beaks. They usually did the rest. .

She's definitely struggling to eat. She gets a little something maybe every fourth or fifth peck. It's been a long time since I've had chicks, but her keel is pretty prominent and that makes me nervous.

Here's a better photo of her beak. It's pretty extensive and will likely get worse as she gets older.

View attachment 1703455

Okay great, I can walk you through it. For her you're going to need an actual feeding tube, since she's so small, so I would order one. This is the size I would get:

http://www.greatmedicalsupplies.com...l-purpose-robinsonnelaton-catheter-351008.htm

They sell other sizes too, if you want to get larger ones for when she is older. 18 fr is the size that works for most adult chickens and ducks. Then you will need a syringe for the food, which for now I would do 1 ml or 3ml syringes. Those you can get at Tractor Supply.

Then you'll need the food too. What you want is parrot formula. You can buy that at pet stores. Kaytee Exact is a good choice.

You're also going to need a baseline weight on her, so if you could weigh her on a kitchen scale or something that would be perfect.

I was able to get an 8fr feeding tube locally (Essex Veterinary for the win!), a handful of 1 and 3ml syringes, and a supplement. I weighed her this evening and she's 80 grams. Her poops are hard, like she's not getting enough water, so I put electrolytes and probiotics in it. I'd like to wait until her crop empties before feeding her so I can make sure it's actually emptying - it seems a bit hard, whichh could be related to her fluid intake.

I was able to get an 8fr feeding tube locally (Essex Veterinary for the win!), a handful of 1 and 3ml syringes, and a supplement. I weighed her this evening and she's 80 grams. Her poops are hard, like she's not getting enough water, so I put electrolytes and probiotics in it. I'd like to wait until her crop empties before feeding her so I can make sure it's actually emptying - it seems a bit hard, whichh could be related to her fluid intake.

Perfect! So the first thing to do, if you suspect she is dehydrated, is to tube her a little bit of fluids first. You might want to start right off with that.

Do you have something like coconut oil you can use to lube the tube? It's not necessary, but it can make it more pleasant for the bird.

Back
Top Bottom