Vermont

Pics
I wasn't about to ask DH to fire up the generator at 1:30a.m. for my eggs... he doesn't share my passion for chickens
roll.png
After candling last night it appears I've only lost one that had development, so it wasn't a total loss
smile.png

Quote:
I wouldn't be so pessimistic. Just because the air temperature dropped to 75 doesn't mean the internal temperature of the eggs dropped that much.

A couple of things to consider as a hedge against losing power are: 1) putting mass in the incubator -- bricks, sand, water bottles, etc. depending upon the size of your incubator -- will slow the temperature loss in the event of a power loss; and 2) there is at least one incubator model that can run off a battery, might be worth considering for those of us in ice/snow storm territory who want to incubate in the ice/snow seasons.

Is anyone here near Lyndonville, VT? I am from Quebec and will be driving through on Wednseday. I would love to buy some purebred eggs to hatch.

For those of you with heritage/dual-purpose breed turkeys: when do you generally start getting eggs? March? April? May?

I have two Narragansett girls, ages 11 months and 9 months and I am anxiously awaiting that first egg!

Thanks!

Hello Vermont!
woot.gif

Just a reminder that there are still lots of towns and cities right here in Vermont up for grabs in the BYC Chicken L.O.R.E. Project!

This is a massive undertaking, and everyone is encouraged to participate! Your knowledge of Chicken L.O.R.E. will earn you GFM Scratch, which are good towards new GFM Memberships, Membership extensions, or Membership gifts.

Remember - you don't have to select a city in Vermont - cruise the selection list and choose any city still available!

Get started now! Click on the Chicken L.O.R.E. link above for all the details, and remember your Project Managers are here to help in any way we can.

Good Luck, and Thanx for Joining In!
clap.gif

Everything is pretty good in Morrisville at Russo's Roost. Me and my rooster are seeing eye to eye lately after he thought he was the better of the two of us. Here's what I have found. He becomes aggressive towards running shoes with night reflectors on them, even in the daytime, he goes bonkers. ALso, he has chosen a prefered hen and he has clawed out the feathers on the sholders and most of her back down by the base of her tail, she is wearing an apron now and I put bag balm on the bare skin twice a day. There hasn't been any canabalism in the flock yet, I am watching carefully though.
I had a mink visit my property and stream but he seems to have moved on, now I am watching for Raccoon's one got into the pen at night, chicks were locked away in the coop, and dug around a little bit. He burrowed under the shed and coop to get into the pen. I put down some Critter Ridder, (dehydrated coyote urine) and I set a trap near the area. It hasn't been back at all but now we have rain for the next couple of days so that will wash away the critter ridder.
We came across a bunch of old music CD's for $1.00 at a yard sale, kept the cases to re-use and strung the CD's over the pen to deter hawks and other flying prey, so far so good but then again, I didn't have a problem with that last year but I have seen more hawks patroling the area this year.
Does anyone have any experience with "Nite Guard" it is a solar powered red light that supposedly will keep every immaginable pest out of your pen and garden. It makes predators think they are being watched, I wonder how they know that, anyway, if you want to see what I am talking about go to www.niteguard.com in the meanwhile, I would love to hear any experience anyone has with this product.
I didn't add any birds to my flock yet this year. I told my local "Guy's farm and yard" store that if they have any RIR's left over to call me and I would consider adding a few, other then that I am good until next year. I wonder what my wife has in store for the birthday celebration as my 6 chicks turn 1 year old in early May.
I haven't had any luck selling fresh eggs, I put a sign at the end of the driveway that saye "Fresh Eggs for Sale Today" but I haevn't had any takers at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?
OK, I'll shut up now :)

G'Morning!

Bet it has been quiet. It is a busy time for many Vermonters outside... especially here in Ripton, getting soil ready for planting, firewood depleted, scrounging for additional on a rainy chilly week-end...

Last week-end was great fun threw a party to kick off my Senate campaign: http://www.senatorwagner.com/2010/04/16/thanks-for-coming-to-my-party/ I'm running for the Vermont Senate as an Independent, for Addison County. 'A Chicken in Every Backyard'. Seriously! The Democrats are bringing cops to the phony public debates to arrest us if we speak or even ask a question that they don't have a rehearsed answer for... so much for freedom of speech. They will defend big corporations looting Vermont, to their last breath.

50 holes dug for blueberries, need to dig 50 more holes. And move the cinderblocks out to the field to prepare to set up beehives. Next time I'm dry will probably be on Monday, when I go back to the day job.
wink.png

Cheers,
Robert

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom