Vermont

Pics
Quote:
I am just over the river from VT. 3 miles. I thought I would post here in case anyone is interested in working on this beautiful breed. Thanks!

I will get a picture of him later today. I think that he will develop into a large bird, but I'm not sure (I am not good at guessing chicken age!) I work at the Hinesburg vet office - someone in Charlotte or Hinesburg (not sure which) found him.

Quote:
Poor thing. I currently have a group of roosters and hens that are about 18 weeks and the lead roo is pretty large. But I have two coops with different ages of chickens so I would probably have a place where he would fit in.

Does Hinesburg Animal Hospital do chickens normally or did they just do him because he was brought in as an emergency. I am looking for a vet in the area for my feathered friends.

Hi Vermonters. Does anyone in southern Vermont want some chicks? I bought some hatching eggs that were supposed to be black copper Marans but are more of a genetic mish mosh. The eggs the chicks came from were nice and large and dark, but I won't be breeding what hatched out and would like to give the chicks away to someone that doesn't want to breed them. They aren't sexed yet. Anyone?

Does anyone in the addison county area need a roo?? I have 4 mixed roos born early June that need to find new homes. They are from a speckled sussex dad and either a barred rock, white leghorn, or a new hampshire red mom. 3 out of the 4 are crowing the 4th may be but I have yet to see him belt one out
smile.png

Greetings from St. Johnsbury...I have 3 comets, 2 barred rocks, 2 EEs ... 3months old and two silkies ...4 to 5 month olds. In June I purchased 6 "teens" 4 silkies and two Cochin mixes...turns out 5 were cockerels, fortunately I was able to find good homes for 4 of them. The 2 Cochins left 2 days ago and are now on a farm in Mass. I'm keeping the last silkie roo, so far he's been a good boy and likes being in charge for a change of pace. I'm new to BYC and I'm still trying to figure out how to set up my page and do photos.

Okay I am so bad I just put 12 more eggs into the incubator. Going to end up having to do a middle of the winter processing if I am not careful. Right now I have at least 9 roos that will need to either find new homes or become dinner. Going to wait and let them grow a bit but they are all LF breeds and are really big. The ones in the incubator are Delaware hoping for a good hatch to add some blood to the ones I have in the coop now.

Quote:
LOL I just hatched out 9 more Lavender Orpingtons last week
smile.png
I got rid of the 4 roos from the hatch this June on the same day. Let’s hope I have a good ratio of pullets in this batch
God Luck and I will have my fingers crossed for al pullets
smile.png

how many of you are heating your coops?

how many of you have insulated coops?

this is going to be my first winter, and right now i have an uninsulated structure.

i'm planning to insulate the ceiling between the rafters with rigid foam, friction fit with spray foam around the edges of the rigid foam panels.

at this time i don't have a light, but am thinking of getting a solar one, more for safety (mine and theirs) than to keep egg production up.

should i be concerned about my peeps getting too cold?

Back
Top Bottom